1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Body Wing Ideas

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Mar 3, 2010.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I've been tooling around with a new body design (well, at least new to me).
    Pictured is my current project with some oak cutouts of a possible design tacked on.
    I'm guessing having the body attached this far up the neck is going to be a lot of work, but I have seen this type of design popping up here and there and have found it rather compelling.
    Thoughts so far are a 35" scale 6 string with about 16.5mm spacing.
    I'm guessing it is going to weigh about 11-12lbs all said and done. Neck is going to be blend of maple and walnut with ash wings, redwood burl top and a wenge fingerboard.

What do you guys think about this design model?

[​IMG]

2. kuso

kuso

Feb 25, 2010
    Plymouth, MA
    Reminds me of a five string a friend has: [​IMG]

Built by FBB (fbbcustom.com), he has a 'bean' body shape that's very similar to that. Check there for a ton of pics, but you gotta click through the galleries ten at a time. Also, some of the pics I'm finding don't work, but most do.

EDIT: Yikes, sorry for the picture size! Not sure how to resize it since it's hosted somewhere else.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020