boiling flat wounds.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JamesM, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Hey i was just wondering if its all right to boil flat wound strings, i can't afford a new set, i've just made a new fretless out of my old bass and its hard to hear what it could sound like with old string.
  2. sure, why not...boil away...

for a good job, put a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid in there, too...and let them dry completely before restringing.
  3. cool, cheers bro. I'l giv it go.
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't think you'd need to bother cleaning flats too much.
  5. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    play, wipe down, close case. repeat (about a year per set should be sufficient).
    if they sound a little thuddier than when you bought them, it's because they should. that's the flatwound mojo. you don't want to brighten them up too much now.
  6. tai

Feb 10, 2005
    i have Rotosound flats on my ibanez and i boiled them and it worked fine.
    i hear that ur actually supposed to put them in some denatured alcohol and leave them in that for a day or so, cause theres no water in it to rust the srtings...i havent tried it yet.
    just some "food for thought"
  7. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Let us know how it goes, JamesM!.... :hyper:
  8. Hey guys, the fretless came out great and surprisingly the tone is killer, it took me a while to get the intonation right. I gave the strings a boil and it did make a little difference, had a a few jams with the band and its brought a totally different approach to the songs and my playing.
    Catchya laters.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. Fretless is a whole 'nother planet. Lined fretless is very cool if you're a fretless beginner (like moi). I'm comitted to frets for the vast majority of the material that I work with but there are a few tunes where the fretless really provides an interestsing dimension.

We started doing an old free jazz vamp named Tunji ('trane ?) a month ago and in my trio setting I'm doing a lot of chording in it. The fretless just works for that beautifully and the lines do help. Training wheels I know bit for the moment I need 'em.
  10. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i thought you wanted your flats to sound as old as possible. now i'm confused . . .