Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bolt on Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 30, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well Im modding out my SX p-bass to look like a steve harris signature bass. I have a replacement maple neck that Ive given the final touches to and I wanna put it on. I am planning on taking it to a professional to install a nut and string retainer so do you think i should also have them install the neck. I dont think its all that technical to do but would it be best to have it professionaly installed, meaning that the holes need to be drilled and all that. Does sumthing like that usually cost alot, i hear its sumthing like 40 bucks for a new nut so i dont wanna spend too too much so what do you guys think?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It probably varies a great deal depending on luthier and location. I'd call around and get a few quotes, its a pretty standard repair so you shouldn't have much trouble getting a price over the phone.

3. It doesn't cost a lot but it is a pretty critical assembly task. Getting it perfectly aligned, held in place to be marked, marked to match the existing holes, then drilled properly to match those holes, can be a little tricky for the first timer. If it's not right, the strings won't align with the fretboard, won't have a striaight pull across the nut and saddles and that could make for weird intonation problems and some other setup anomalies.

You've got PM.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    thanks hambone, I sent you and E-mail