Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo Xformation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Finally got some new pickguards for the ever-popular Bongo Brothers here at Camp Bovine.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think I like the tuxedo look on the black one...and the orange can't look back no matter how it tries.

And you are humbly invited to keep your Bongo Bashing to yourself. If you think they suck or they're ugly or they'll turn your skin green, fine. You don't find me trolling through your threads to insult your basses, do you?

No, you don't.

Constructive criticism gladly read, although seldom acted upon.

BTW, I played COUNTRY on that fiver last night and it killed.

Got some looks, though.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    almost a rickish sorta vibe on the inside horns there. that orange is a nice color - is it metallic?

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I really like the orange one...the Bongo shape reminds me of the upper view of a ship from Star Trek. Haven't had a chance to play or even see one in real life, but I'm curous, especially about the dual mid control.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    John, they call that "desert gold". I'm not sure what you mean by metallic....no sparkles, but
    here's a better shot of the finish; this is what it looks like in real life:

[​IMG]

If Parker and Rickenbacker got together to build a Stingray......

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Bovine,

That is a cool look. What are they made out of again?

Have you seen bassmonkeee's Bongo? He brought it out last weekend and he had the V-Bass p'up set up on it, new PG....man, that is a sweet bass. Gard couldn't put it down... :bassist:

I want a 5er with piezo, J/MM jet black (blk PG too)!

6. It may take some people a little while to adjust to them visually, but believe me, they look great in real life. I saw one in the GC on 14th St. about a month ago, though did not play it because it was too high up on the wall (deliberately) but I am looking forward to checking one out. I have a sneaking suspicion that when I try one it'll end up going home with me. :)

Oh Bovine, I just put a set of LaBella flats on my Stingray last weekend; now I know what you've been talking about. ;)

Mike :cool:

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like the white pearl guards, Mr Host.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to piggy back on your thread with the new pic of my Bongo with the Tort pickguard from Gard.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Heh...and the Roland Borg pickup is permanently installed now, too. :hyper:

I have to say--after seeing the Desert Gold with the white pearl, I think I have my fretless 5 string planned. :bassist:

I think it's time for a "Show me your Bongo" thread....

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The last time I checked, the GC on Windy Hill had a Desert Gold Bongo. You should go and check it out.

And, you really need to play my 5 string. I think you'll like what you find.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    think they'd do a one off 7? :D i'd be on that. :hyper:

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jason, that Black/Tort combo is 73h 5eX04!

Between the 4 band EQ and the V-Bass, that thing must be the Swiss Army knife to end all Swiss Army knives.

Definitely a keeper, in my book. Which means you don't need alll those Curbows. ;)

Interesting how much a pickgaurd can change the aesthetic. Sorry BH, but that tux look just isn't doing it for me. However, I must say that the creamsickle does look pretty nice.

Do you... bongo?

11. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    Desert Gold looks great, their look never struck me as attractive but I played a dual humbucker 4 string a couple of weeks ago and I really liked it. Incredibly versatile, well balanced, easy to play, I want one!

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Man I really need to get my pics up. Bassmonkee, that tort looks awesome. :cool:

13. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Quick question, in these up close pics, it doesn't look like a standard MusicMan pup in those things, anyone know if they can still accept the traditional shaped ones as a direct replacement? Looks more... squarish for some reason...

I dig the shell on black look that bassmonkeee has going on.

Oh, another one, are the bongos only in solid colors, or are some burst colors available?

14. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

That'd be AWESOME!!!

15. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Mmm, nice. I have a thing about white pearloid pickguards at the moment.

To digress slightly, it's interesting to see that the tide of Bongos finally arriving over here tend to be priced to undercut the Stingray as well. Curious.

Chris.

16. Bassmonkee,

Is it a 4 or 5-string?

Is yours black or blue or what?

I'm intrigued by these Bongos. I'm not much of a Stingray fan, but maybe the Bongo would suit me better. Do you recommend the Piezo?

Thanks,

Randy

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^^ I think they might only come in solid colors because they are made of basswood which isnt the most attractive wood, am i correct?