1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bootsy Collins, so many effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by :DChilis:D, Feb 18, 2008.

1. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8qUfMiuvoLc&feature=related
    This is heaven, I want to get there. Can You Guys help me. I know Bootsy has multiple inputs into his bass, I don't. I know he uses Mutron (which is expensive), I don't have that kind of money. Can you guys map out his effects in the order they are connected in. Please use alternative effects, because vintage effects are really expensive. I really want this sound please help me out. Can you guys include a total price

Thanks

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I hear an envelope filter, delay, fuzz, and some sort of octave device. I also hear oodles of awesomeness.

You can spend anywhere from $50 to $5,000 on that stuff, sans awesomeness.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I found a sequined cape with shoulder pads in a dumpster one day, and with it, I was able to cop that sound 100%.

4. That's asking a LOT of the forum, dude.

There doesn't seem to even be any shots of his board in that video. He probably changes his rig quite often. Obtaining prices for all that gear requires a fair amount of research - which you could certainly do for yourself. Google is your friend.

5. Mudshark23

Mudshark23

Jan 31, 2008
    SEATTLE
    haha...you want that sound? it won't come on a budget. i am not sure what bootsy's current FX chain is but i read a guitar player piece from the 80's (i think) that was pretty deep about his rig.
    l
    ong story short, he was running THREE fx chains simultaneously. he played through 3 rigs (including a ridiculuous amount of speakers), one for his lows, one for his mids, and one for his highs. each rig had it's own dedicated FX loop (not sure about routing) that had up to 10 individual FX each, each one in certain cases having duplicate boxes. as far as for specfics, i read this quite a long time ago but i distinctly remember at least one of the following in each... big muff, mutron, phaser, and chorus i think. in the clip, it sounds like he is using his mutron, and some analog delay unit of some kind. after a bit he definitely kicks in at least one muff, followed by a pitch shifter of some kind.

long story short, you want bootsy's sound...it's going to cost you.

word to the wise...do NOT get the mutron reissue (HAZ labs, mutron III+), it's the same box but totally different design on the inside. it does not live up to it's predecessor in function, and certainly does not live up to it's price. 2 of them sound pretty cool together, but there are easier ways of getting a good envelope filter.

hate to say it, but if you can't afford one mutron, it will be very hard for you to get anything close to that sound. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, if you can't quite get his tone you just might find your own. :cool:

good luck!!!

6. Bootsy collins had LOADS of different effects. It's a little difficult to tell you what models he is currently using (or using for that show) because there are no visual shots of his board. What I heard was: envelope filter, delay, fuzz, octave, whammy, phaser, some sort of synth.

There is a list of his effects (studio I think) under the "Pedalboards of the Stars" thread.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I just wanted to post a thank-you for that link...one of the coolest bass solos I've ever heard.

God, I love Bootsy!! :hyper:

8. I read in a Bass Player magazine that his main board is 7 feet wide and his "compact" studio board is 3.5 feet. Have fun figuring out which effects can cover 7 feet! Just buy every bass effect and 23 or 24 guitar effects from MF and call it "The Bootsy Special" lol.

9. BSLAPPER

BSLAPPER

Dec 18, 2007
    looks like a circus an sound to go with it, what i really want to know were can i get a diaper like his guitar player! now thats kool.:spit:

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    +1

Alembic Super Filter, Roland Space Echo, MXR Digital Delay, Pro Co Rat II, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff distortion, DOD Thrash, DigiTech Grunge, DigiTech Whammy Pedal, Boss BF-3 Flanger, DOD Envelope, two Mu-Tron IIIs, Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    LOL...Bootsy is so cool...but what's up with the gui**** wearing the diaper?...

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Why, that's Gary Shider, of course, also known as Diaper Man.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    That's a very creative name how do you think they thought it up.......

:confused:

Oh Wait :D

14. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    haha! dudde i JUST saw p-funk on saturday and hung out with gary shider and Shavo Odadjian from system of a down after the show! ...yes shavo was a special guest! and no gary doesnt wear the diaper all the time :ninja:

15. Bootsy really knows how to play a solo, I hear a lot of a blues influence and Hendrix in his playing. So unless you got those down you probably shouldn't venture into his FX stuff.

I noticed that the pitch shifter is only shifting the delayed signal and goes an octaver higher with each repetition. Cool Stuff.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You may be interested to know that the large stacks of cabs on either side of the stage are all part of Bootsy's bass rig. Yes, that's two 8x10"s on top of two large subs, on each side!!!

Alex

17. BSLAPPER

BSLAPPER

Dec 18, 2007
    really think theres talent there? thank god for effects i guess!:spit:

18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    How would you achieve that..? I'm thinking stereo delay with completely separate channels and going from the output of one to an octave up to the input of the other. Or do no stereo delays do have separate channels like that?

EDIT: Can the Boss PS-3 do this and was it around when this recording was made?