Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bose PA System for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kelbrihan, Sep 9, 2005.

1. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Has anyone ever used or heard the Bose personal PA system? here is review http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/BosePAS.htm

I've seen them at Guitar Center, but have only heard pre recorded music through it. Has anyone every used it with an entire band, not just solo acoustic?

2. PAguy

PAguy

Aug 19, 2005
    I just recently quit a band that was using 2 Bose PAS systems to amplify the whole band. It was a......., uhm....polka/variety band. I actually like polkas very much, but that's niether here nor there. 2 horns, accordion, drums (me), and electric bass. The systems worked OK for the smaller places we played. It worked OK at the outside gigs too. Just don't expect it to give you a "massive" sound. Very clear, though. The subs for the PAS systems sound surprisingly good---ON STAGE. The bass response dwindled to NOTHING any further than a few feet from the units themselves.

In terms of portablility, you can't beat it. Set-up times are very quick, although we did have to sub-mix to get all the vocal mics and horn mics in, as the units only have 2 mic inputs each. Would have been quicker if everyone had their own unit and didn't have to sub-mix, but at $2K a peice, WHEW!

It was my suggestion to get the Bose, because I was tired of hauling/loading/setting up their crappy Fender 3-way system. Would I buy one again? Maybe-- if I was doing a solo act.

When I left the band, they bought me out of my share of the Bose. They are still using them and seem to be pleased.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Try some of these threads on for size (not sure how many are genuine hits, but I know some are):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1388985

I've used the Bose system with a 5 piece band for a rehearsal, and have seen a few bands using 'em as well. I've yet to see a bass player using the sub boxes though, they all had separate amps. I was advised by the owner of the system to do the same too, so I did. The bass speakers' throw is supposedly different from the rest of the system (according to a Bose rep on the Bose forum), but I don't know how much difference that makes in the real world.

To me, it sounded fine, but not really worth the money or hype...to me. I could be prejudiced by the fact that I've been a sound provider for many years, I guess. YMMV, etc. There are a few Talkbassers who totally dig it though, and the bands I've seen using it all sounded fine for what they were doing.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    From a purely technical standpoint the system is unlikely to live up to the advertised claims. The science is sound, but the size of the componentry used is inadequate for much more than lightweight lounge acts. And then there's the matter of bang for the buck...ever read any John Donne?

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Gee- I figured at least one of you would get it. 'No Man is an Island.' These things are so different that to work effectively the whole band has to use them. At $1800 apiece that will eat up profits in short order. Like being a musician is profitable to begin with.

6. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    With the 45 day trial period, I wanted to try them w/ my band. I figured we could get away with 4 systems for our 6 piece band. Needless to say, I Couldn't get everyone on board. So I have since bought a Thunderfunk550, and my El Whappo should be here Monday! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

As for the bass through this system, when I was researching it, I found a local band who uses them (3pc band w/ 3 units). I was all psyched to go see them and be blown away by the system. (I had previously tried one at GC & really liked the 180 degree dispersion) My opinion (based only on witnessing one gig) is that the bass was lacking OOMPH. The dispersion was great, but if I were to have gotten this system I would have had to bring more than just the Bose system. And that would defeated the purpose of getting this system.

I should also mention that the band I saw w/ this system had just aquired it and this was their first gig using it. So by now things may be better. And, for the record, the bass player had the 2 "B1" units. I am open to trying anything, and if Bose comes up with a system like this SPECIFICALLY for bass, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. But for now...I NEED MY OOMPH!!

gg

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Bose is nice, but nothing can compare to a huge speaker actually moving air.

Actually, a band I was in had a PA composed of 2 huge JBL 15" cabs with like 20" horns and 2 Bose enclosures that had about 20 or 30 3" speakers (looking back, they may have been tweeters... but it was all covered in fabric, so who knows) all over them. We plopped them down in front to do double duty as middle fill and front monitors. Wasn't impressed, but we were also young and dumb and we probably had no idea how to use them.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Those were 802s, loaded with eight 4.5s. That was the first Bose product that promised to revolutionize the pro-sound industry. Over 20 years later they're still in production but you never see anyone using them. Like their successor they were OK for small lounge acts but highly overpriced, not unexpected from a company that sells $400 clock radios.

9. wow, the "billfitzmaurice" post kinda says it all. maybe we'll be reading this in another 20 years, talking about bose's newest speaker system ...

10. Didn't Bose, back in the '80s or early '90s, promote the use of a pair of 802s with a special (good sized) subwoofer for use with bass? Never heard one, but 802s were good little speakers. I knew a keyboard player who used a pair on stands for his onstage monitoring, and in stereo he sounded great. Very natural, of course you had to use the active equalization module. Confirming the hype about getting rid of horn tweeters in this particular case.

11. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hey PA guy!! Nice to see another polka fan here. I'm an out of work polka player. All the bands around here have gone to midi accordian bass. Damn technology......

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The good news is that the EQ gave pretty flat response, the bad is that you then needed a 1200 watt amp to make up for all the power that the EQ sucked out. In terms of actual output capability the 802 has no more than the average 1x12/horn PA cab that goes for 1/4 the price and only needs a 200 watt amp.

13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree. Any audio "pionneer" that can operate a retail store front in an upscale mall such as Fashion Valley Center in San Diego has GOT to be selling LOTS of "$400 clock radios" at a huge profit to stay in business.

Bose=hype=marketing=sound "mysteries" solved=profits. They certainly capitalize based on a market they help create. (Smaller is better, etc)

Gotta hand it to them, they have an admirably successful thing going, people are "buying it".

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    LDS has added this system, but it is still kinda of in the experimental stages. They use great components, the same drivers as epiphani. And the DB guys who have tried it love it!

15. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Yeah, I honestly can say that I have never heard a Bose system on which the bass didn't sound like total ****. Loose, flabby, muddy . . . . as others have said, Bose lives on hype . . . and they are pretty much the running joke in the pro audio world. Such profound statements like:

"The laws of physics apply anywhere in the galaxy EXCEPT the Bose labs"

and the old standard:

"No highs, no lows . . . if it sounds like s**t, it MUST be Bose!"

- Tim

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    From a technical standpoint it would be much better if the upper cabinet was rotated 90 degrees, placing the tweeter at the top, the midrange below it. As it is in the picture the horizontal alignment of the mid and tweeter is a recipe for comb filtering.