Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss CEB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassling, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bassling

bassling

Mar 3, 2006
    So yea, Bass Chorus. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Care to share any thoughts?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I picked one up. It does the job. Has enough controls to add some variation. Like all Boss pedals it's built well. Sounds a bit better than chorus plug-ins on my SONAR LE. There's probably better out there, but I don't use it often enough to really care about upgrading.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I had one some years ago, pretty decent for the cost. Couldn't get really crazy but got the job done.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My favorite setting of-late has been 4:30, 8:00, 3:00, 9:00 - especially after distortion or OD.

Joe

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    my CEB-3 was my second pedal after my Tuner... It's the only BOSS effects pedal left on my board, besides the Tuner.

I'm nothing but pleased with the little blue box. It can get some fairly lush chorus... and the output volume and Low-end EQ cut ads for some nice variation.

On my other pedal board, I run a Small Clone. I'm seriously torn between which one I like better.

6. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Dittos to above;) ;)

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    same reviews as above ..
    I does the job quite well !
    It's the first pedal i've bought, settings allows quite range of tones and the stompboxe itselfs is good made. I was considering swith it for a small stone or better a polychorus but find out it's not necessary ! It suits my needs well !

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I have the CE-5...I'm a big fan for all of the reasons mentioned above, just a few more tonal options.

9. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I have an EBS unichorus that sits in a box on shelf, because I like the Boss CEB more. For a while I almost didn't want to like it, and I have tried many other chorus pedals, and always go back to it.

It's a solid, simple, versatile, and good sounding chorus.

10. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    hey Joe, i tried this setting last night during our gig and whoa...it was the chorus setting i was looking for. I just dialed it like what you said then boom. it was great, thanks !

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for letting me know that, Elbarax.

I do obscess on my pedal settings - I was an Audio Tech before is was a bassist. Sometimes I have only a few hours left to learn new tunes before a band rehearsal; I end-up looking back and realizing that I spent an hour of it fine-tuning my amp and pedal settings.

Yeah - doesn't it sound like a univibe or Leslie or something, set like that? I like it! And you get some nice, thick-sort of treble boost, too.

(Hey - y'know what could be a thread? A "count your knobs" survey! Let's see: I have.. I think it's thirty-four between pedals and head. Oops - but then there's the BASS; that'd make thirty-seven.)

Glad I was able to help, El -

Joe

12. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Joe p -

I assume those setting numbers are left to right?

thanks

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah.. Left-to-right 'clockface' convention.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our local GC has a used DOD 'Resistive Mixer' for $20. I'm thinking of grabbing it tonight after work, so that I can mess with running my two distortions in parallel - split with the two outputs of the CEB - you know: that "UniBoss" method I'm always talking-up. In the past I've only done it with two seperate amps (my bass rig, and a guitar amp - back when I was with a Classic Rock trio), I want to see what I can do with it all in the GK/JBL rig. Heck - the mixer has FOUR inputs; I could actually do a Y-chord split out of the NS-2's Send-jack, and have dry-bass, 'straight' Deisel Dawg, and pitch- and time-shifted Xciter-to-ODB available at the mixer inputs... ...or maybe put the Xciter first-after the send, and split it there...

Hm...

Well - here I go again: I'm supposed to be learning Cut The Cake, We Like To Funk, and Billie Jean tonight!

Joe

14. SolidFoundation

SolidFoundation

Apr 7, 2006
    Has anyone else experienced running the Boss CEB-3 in stereo and getting a distorted sound from the OUTPUT B ? It's supposed to be the unaffected signal, but it sounds like crap, regardless of whether the pedal is on or off. I've tried switching cabinets, cables, and sides of the power amp.
    My signal path is passive bass -> SansAmp -> CEB-3 -> two channels of power amp.
    I've tried messing with the sansamp settings as well and going direct into the chorus and it persists. The local music store repair guy looked at it and couldn't find any reason for it.
    Any advice or similar experiences?

15. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    yeah..I do this. But I run the full dry signal to my bass rig (trace 600h+trace410) and the effected high signal through a small stone phaser, crybaby original wah and a russian big muff distortion into a peavey classic50.

It's killer. I'm in a trio and during solos I can hit the dist. and/or phaser, play chordal and there's no dropout. I run the filter around 8-9 o'clock. the ch. is barely on, but it's there. I love it. my band loves it and our audience loves it (even though most don't know what is going on, they just recognize the fullness of our sound). YMMV.

16. Billy Sacco

Billy Sacco

Apr 4, 2006
    I found this pedal to be very subtle. Which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I ended up getting a meistersinger for a more lush chorus. Overall a pretty good chorus box though.

17. SolidFoundation

SolidFoundation

Apr 7, 2006
    Turns out that although the SansAmp manual says put it before modulating effects, it is quite the opposite. The SansAmp was causing an impedence mismatch. Going chorus first then SansAmp solved the problem. (Just in case anyone else happens to encounter this...):hyper:

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That's the way I put my CEB, but that was cus I use the SA as my preamp and DI, so I wanted to keep all the outs "free". Interesting though...

On the note of the CEB, as I've said before, this pedal is great! :D It really thickens up my bass sound and allows me to get my guitar sound out of my bass :smug: Uni-Boss = :cool: (thanks Joe P!)

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've got a CEB-3, and I'm very pleased with it.

I bet other units can bring crazier chorus sounds, but when it comes to crazy, I prefer distortion :D

Anyhow...excellent unit overall. Joe P's Uni-Boss idea sounds great too, although I haven't tried it out yet. Looks like DarkHatred loves it though - it's the center of his otherwise ever-changing board :p