Boss DR-670 Drum M/C, MIDI, and a computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Good afternoon, TB.

For my first foray into digital audio I am seriously considering the Boss Drum M/C as stated.

As well as a stand-alone drum M/C, it seems the '670 can be MIDI programmed.

As a total newcomer to this sort of thing I would like to ask for guidance / informed comment, both on the Boss itself and on the more general concept of MIDI programming (can anyone recommend a good book?).

Should I use my computer to generate the MIDI codes, is there a preferred piece of software I require to do that job?

Thanks in advance.

2. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    The Boss 670 is killer... just got one a few weeks ago for demo'ing new ideas. Got the hang of it pretty quickly. Yes it is MIDI, so if you want, you can program it like a standalone unit, then dump your data into a comuter/MIDI sequencer, edit it or whatever, and play back thru any sound module you want (or use the 670 as a MIDI sound module). Some cats are into that, i just use it standalone. Maybe if i was using other MIDI tracks and instruments, i'd utilize this more. Either way, great box!