1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss DR-670 Drum M/C, MIDI, and a computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Good afternoon, TB.

For my first foray into digital audio I am seriously considering the Boss Drum M/C as stated.

As well as a stand-alone drum M/C, it seems the '670 can be MIDI programmed.

As a total newcomer to this sort of thing I would like to ask for guidance / informed comment, both on the Boss itself and on the more general concept of MIDI programming (can anyone recommend a good book?).

Should I use my computer to generate the MIDI codes, is there a preferred piece of software I require to do that job?

Thanks in advance.

John

2. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    The Boss 670 is killer... just got one a few weeks ago for demo'ing new ideas. Got the hang of it pretty quickly. Yes it is MIDI, so if you want, you can program it like a standalone unit, then dump your data into a comuter/MIDI sequencer, edit it or whatever, and play back thru any sound module you want (or use the 670 as a MIDI sound module). Some cats are into that, i just use it standalone. Maybe if i was using other MIDI tracks and instruments, i'd utilize this more. Either way, great box!