1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss ME-50B for Upright

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Joe Smithberger, Aug 6, 2004.

1. I was looking for a headphone amp at home the other night and plugged my Bassmax into the ME-50B multi effects unit. It turns out that the Boss has a 1 Mohm input and sounds great with the Bassmax. In fact I liked it much better than my Fishman Pro EQ. I know it looks goofy with the big bass, but having a tuner, volume pedal, EQ with parametric mid, compressor, and reverb (just a touch for air) in one piece of battery powered gear is a nice thing. At my regular church thing, I plugged into the effects return on my amp and was able to control volume very nicely with my foot so I could turn down when I wanted to dig in, and up a little when I wanted the sustain. When we took a break, I just set the pedal all the way down. I don't see myself using any of the other junk on this box with my upright, but for a $300 piece, it works pretty well.

Just thought I'd share. I guess I could have put this on the end of the effects thread, but I am not really using it that way.

2. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    I am sorta the same way with my ME-50b. Currently I really only have 1 patch for my live playing, but what I have on that one patch is amazing IMO. I run a MIA Fender p-bass (w/rotosound strings) into a Sennheiser Digital wireless 1000 unit which at the recieve end goes into the ME-50b which juices up my Ampeg V4BH which powers a SVT-15e cabinet. All I am really using the ME-50b for is just a boost pedal but its a fancy one because........I am using compression, a particular EQ setting, a Mid Shape filter, and finally the "Distortion" drive set to an almost clean Boost. It's a night and day difference between this and just plugging into the head. I do use the volume pedal alot throughout the night to bring me up and down as the song calls for it, and in one of our songs I use the wah. The tuner works great in a live setting as well. It's just been a great pedal for me. I do have a few patches for headphone practice and also 2 patches for use at church with their provided combo amp. I agree, the pedal was well worth the money even though I am not a pedalboard tapdancer.