Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ME-50B for Upright

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Joe Smithberger, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I was looking for a headphone amp at home the other night and plugged my Bassmax into the ME-50B multi effects unit. It turns out that the Boss has a 1 Mohm input and sounds great with the Bassmax. In fact I liked it much better than my Fishman Pro EQ. I know it looks goofy with the big bass, but having a tuner, volume pedal, EQ with parametric mid, compressor, and reverb (just a touch for air) in one piece of battery powered gear is a nice thing. At my regular church thing, I plugged into the effects return on my amp and was able to control volume very nicely with my foot so I could turn down when I wanted to dig in, and up a little when I wanted the sustain. When we took a break, I just set the pedal all the way down. I don't see myself using any of the other junk on this box with my upright, but for a $300 piece, it works pretty well.

Just thought I'd share. I guess I could have put this on the end of the effects thread, but I am not really using it that way.

2. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    I am sorta the same way with my ME-50b. Currently I really only have 1 patch for my live playing, but what I have on that one patch is amazing IMO. I run a MIA Fender p-bass (w/rotosound strings) into a Sennheiser Digital wireless 1000 unit which at the recieve end goes into the ME-50b which juices up my Ampeg V4BH which powers a SVT-15e cabinet. All I am really using the ME-50b for is just a boost pedal but its a fancy one because........I am using compression, a particular EQ setting, a Mid Shape filter, and finally the "Distortion" drive set to an almost clean Boost. It's a night and day difference between this and just plugging into the head. I do use the volume pedal alot throughout the night to bring me up and down as the song calls for it, and in one of our songs I use the wah. The tuner works great in a live setting as well. It's just been a great pedal for me. I do have a few patches for headphone practice and also 2 patches for use at church with their provided combo amp. I agree, the pedal was well worth the money even though I am not a pedalboard tapdancer.