Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS ME-50B headphone output question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Yes, I've owned my ME-50B over a year now...I like it (as posted several times); however, the other day I plugged a pair of headphones into the headphone jack for the first time (to do some direct on stage monitoring) and....

I got nothing...at all - no signal, and the headphones (while passive) are good and work fine with the studio computer, etc.

Am I missing something here? Does the output jack need a headphone "amp" to boost the signal?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    that's odd... i used to use the headphone jack a lot when i still used my me-50b and it was just plug n play for me. although that was just for practice and there was no amp involved so that could be another thing.

could you hear your sound through the amp and not the headphones?

3. But then I unplugged the amp, and there was still no sound from the headphones.

I'm perplexed.

Jay

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    weird...

if i understand correctly, this is the first time youve ever plugged headphones into the jack? so it's possible that it couldve been defective ever since?

that's the only thing i can think of. maybe you should email boss.

5. Just a thought - try unplugging the cable that goes to your amp from the ME-50B. Maybe the unit can only run one thing at a time, either the amp output or the headphone output.

I have a $50 set of large Sony headphones that I plug directly into the headphone jack to practice at night, no problems and very loud (using the factory patches will rip my ears off).

6. Like an idiot...didn't swap out headphone extension cables when troubleshooting this.

Bad cable = no sound

Good cable = sound

Thanks again - Jay

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    See? The ME-50B is also good for troubleshooting bad cables! Man, this thing can do everything!!

:D