1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME 50b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by christmetal, Aug 30, 2008.

1. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    is it any good?
    im considering buying one but i dont know how good the quality is

2. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    I'm a strictly clean sound player, & use effects. (Reverb, chorus, flanger etc.) I own one, this past 4 years. I also own a Boss GT6-B. I use the 50-B more often. (Portability & battery powered.) If you need it for your overall 3 set sounds, it's first class. If you require a different patch for each & every song, it would not be the answer, as you can't bank up & down without using an additional twin up/down pedal, or bending down to use the buttons. However you can toggle easily from manual to patch mode, accessing six banks with ease. The sounds available are wide ranged and very good quality. I love the EQ knobs, which you can programme to patches. I leave all controls on my amp at 12 O' Clock and programme the ME50-B & Gt6-B from this starting point. The tuner is fantastic. It's also an excellent multi board for acoustic guitar if you’re interested. Take someone else’s advice regarding the distorted & synth sounds. There is about a 20% increase in clarity using the GT6-B. It's just not as portable. In the big picture this % is not noticed by anyone except the bass player.

3. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    thanks for the help!
    i appreciate it :)

4. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    I was very disappointed in it and the ME-20B. The distortions seemed lacking to me. And you don't have much flexibility on the effects. The GT-6B was a lot more flexible and had much better tone.

Try the new DigiTech RP500. Yes, it's a guitar pedal, but it sounds great with Bass. It's very high quality. It's the same price and it's made in the USA. I blows the ME-50B away.

5. I used one for about 3 years and as a rock box, it treated me great. I was able to use most of the distortions, modulations, and octave down with pretty good results. The expression pedal worked pretty well as a wah and volume, especially when combined with the distortions. I never could get a sound I dug out of the synths, or the auto/wahs. For this reason I don't recommend it as a funk box.

The biggest problem with the unit was the delay when changing patches. I ran it in the effects loop of my amp and whenever possible went into my clean with my loop, switched patches, then went back into the effect with my loop. You can switch patches mid song, but it will be very noticable to you (not so much to your audience). I highly recommend using a looper with it for this reason. If you are using it as a strip of 3 pedals, this isn't a problem.

If you go here you can check out some songs with ME50b on them.

Beneath Your Fragile Smile:
    Verse: Phaser with 'drive' distortion
    Chorus: 'Muff fuzz'
    Break: 'Muff fuzz' w/ wah

Uneasy:
    Intro: Slow Gear
    Chorus: Chorus w/ 'drive' distortion
    Out: 'Muff fuzz w/ wah

The other two have some effects, but they are duplicated by these two songs.