1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss Multi-Effect processor- I have several questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sean775, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...ects-processor?rNtt=Bass multi effect&index=1

Would this be a good purchase if I want to replace my individual pedals with just one piece of equipment? I don’t use effects on a regular basis, but I have a chorus pedal, overdrive pedal, flanger pedal (all Boss), and a Mooer Tender Octaver pedal.

Can several effects be used at once, like flanger and overdrive at the same time?

Are there other useful features besides effect pedals?

2. I am of the opinion that a Zoom B3n is a more versatile product, and in the past I've liked the tones on the Zoom better than Boss products (I haven't used the GT1B). Both have some versatility with the order and combination of effects.

If you aren't looking for the holy grail of effects tones (good, but designed broadly) and /or are just using effects in spot duty multis are amazing tools. If you are a constant knob twiddler looking for this perfect tone it's probably not the way to go.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm not sure about the Boss, it just about has to allow multiple effects at once, because its direct competition (Zoom B3n) does. (I'm a Zoom kinda guy for multi-effects.)

4. Yosbank

Yosbank

Feb 6, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    The Zoom has several Looper options, which I am finding incredibly useful for building loops to practice over. (I have a dedicated Pigtronix Infinity looper too, but I feel like I need a PhD in Loopology to operate it. :smug:)

6. Strangely, Zoom haven't mentioned this in any advertising that I can find.
    All other Zoom multi-effects pedals allow multiple effects to run at the same time, so I see no reason why this one wouldn't too.

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Certainly can on the B3n, even multiple instances of the same effect. Any combination of the effects that fits within the unit's processing power.

The Rage and cheapbasslovin like this.
  8. Zoom has, by far, the most flexible effect setup without jumping up at least a couple hundred bucks.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Another B3 fan here. Simple enough to operate without the editor software, even better with the editor on your computer.

A Swiss Army knife for bass.

I picked mine up used for $150.

hintz likes this.
  10. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Would I still be able to make minor adjustments, such as increasing/decreasing the amount of overdrive, or slightly increasing the chorus rate/depth?

11. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    And it works like a Boss pedal would, with an input cable from the bass and an output cable to the amp?

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yes, it also has fancy XLR outputs for going direct into a PA, but works fine without using every bell and whistle. So if you're going into an amp, you probably want to skip the amp and cab sims and just use effects. Or maybe not, there are some useful overdrives in the amp sims. ;)

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I still use the Boss ME-50b all the time in one of my bands. Never needed anything more, though I’m certain there is more out there. Never used the one in the OP.

14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I hope this isn't too spammy but their overview video is actually not too bad:

Lots of info fast is the main issue...

BazzaBass and hintz like this.
  15. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

TheReceder likes this.
  16. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Sure thing, bass cable in, cable out to amp, is just one way to use the B3.

I’ve also used it to go: bass-B3-mike cable direct to the PA board.

Mostly, I’m hooked up via USB to my Mac, and I use some inexpensive in ear monitors, or headphones. The usb will power the unit.

The drum machine and looper made the B3 the choice for me. It’s an all in one headphone practice station. Playback via usb from the Mac. It’s an interface if I want to record to GarageBand or some other DAW program. The drum machine and looper function together, it’s very easy to use well.

A word about any of the multi effects....the pre programmed patches and sounds are usually not great, and can have wildly different levels. The artist patches on the B3 give you a look into what the artist uses, you can build from there.

You’ll have to learn how the master, or global controls work and then build your patches. The software editor makes this easy, all on your screen. Plug in the B3 by usb, the unit lights up, and the editor loads.

There will tons of effects, amps and cabs, to figure out.

The nice thing about the B3, is it acts like three stomps joined together. Each box can be adjusted with the knobs right on the stomp. This reduces the layers of menus to navigate. And each stomp is pretty clearly labeled and backlit. You look down and see “stereo chorus”. Or “wah”, or “Reverb”.

Other multi, you have to remember what you assigned to each switch. That’s why you see home made labels stuck on line 6 and other multi. Guys label the footswitch and always assign that style of effect to the same switch.

With the B3 you can drag and drop effects from one position to another in your signal chain. And it’s easy to see.

Looks like B3’s are going for around $100 used. They are built tough. Mine has been in steady use for years, no issues. Lots of gear comes and goes at my house, the B3 is a keeper. Many a boutique pedal has been and gone, the B3 has stayed. And you can always use other pedals with the B3.

hintz likes this.
  17. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Well just so this doesn't turn into a Zoom fest the Boss Gt1b is an excellent bit of gear! I really enoy mine, the editor is excellent, there are a heap of decent and usable effects. You can totally do what you are asking of it. It can also be turned into a decent stompbox style effects system with an external pedal that gives you the ability to assign 5 different buttons to a dedicated stompbox eg. distortion, chorus, etc etc. The tube sim was also surprisingly good and I used it for a while..Don't forget that it also includes a expression pedal that can be used for volume and wah..not one of the commenters previous seemed liked they had actually used the unit. There is some good info and even heads up comparisons that put the GT1b in front as far as effects quality. The looper in the Boss works great aswell...if this thing had midi capability it would happily be on my big money board for a few of the excellent effects like the defretter, volume pedal and octaver.

18. Yes. Some effects have as many as 9 parameters to edit.

19. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I heartily agree. I have had mine for almost two years and use it at every show. The free editor app works great and the unit seems well built and sounds good to my ears. YMMV

20. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    it has an Octaver effect that can raise and lower the octave? Or just lower?