1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss ODB-3 for a basic Muse sound - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KeTeVemCovers, Aug 6, 2012.

1. KeTeVemCovers

KeTeVemCovers

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi, as you can see I'm a newbie here so don't comment on how I don't know how to use TalkBass properly :D

So, I wan't to kinda imitate a basic Muse bass sound (not like Hysteria, but like Bliss or Hyper Music) and I was thinking of buying the Boss ODB-3. Apparently, it has a balance knob wich is like a blend with the clean signal. And I heard some sound samples on the internet, I seem to like the tone.
    Is it great for the sound I'm looking for or do you recommend some other stomboxes (If you do, please write some)

Cheers, Matt.

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I would go with tafm though seems to be more versatile and appropiste for muse

3. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    There's a Huge muse sticky that has the answer to your question. Next time search before you start the thread. Chances are someone's asked the question already!

Hyper music is the animato and bliss is the muff( iirc). I would say don't waste your time with the boss. Cheapest options would probably be a ehx bbm and a digitech hard wide cm-2 (might be a different letter/number designation) supposedly that sounds somewhat like the animato.

If it were me I'd try to get my hands on a black Russian muff. They're not nearly as cheap as they used to be but they're still around (I love mine). If you're handy you can find schematics and build a clone (it's easier than it sounds).

Definitely check out that thread though, it will answer a ton of muse related questions you may have.

4. KeTeVemCovers

KeTeVemCovers

Aug 6, 2012

Thanks, you just made my life easier!

Yes I know I should have searched a little, I'm a new guy here :)

5. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    I'd also invest in some type of octave pedal to play with your fuzz, or a fuzz that has an octave feature in it. that's pretty key to getting that really thick muse fuzz tone.

6. KeTeVemCovers

KeTeVemCovers

Aug 6, 2012
    Yeah, I allready have one, Behringer Ultra Octaver. Not the best but its pretty good for its low price range, it has been working without any problems for 2 years now. But I'm definitely going to buy a Boss Octaver when I'll create a perfect 'Muse' distortion/synth tone. The octaver is least of my worries for now.

7. I think you'd love the MXR bass fuzz deluxe. It's got a synthy type of fuzz and also has a dry mix. For a little more money someone mentioned the Team Awesome Fuzz Macine by SS/BS. That's even better but like I said, depends on what you wanna spend.

8. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    +1 for the Black Russian, if your only aiming for "close", I recon that it might be the ticket...

9. KeTeVemCovers

KeTeVemCovers

Aug 6, 2012

Just watched a sound test from YouTube. Sounds similar to Boss ODB-3 just a bit more fuzzier and grindier, more Muffy.

About the TAFM. I've checked the sound test and it sounds awesome, but I can't find it anywhere at my local music shop :(

10. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Also, may I suggest to check out the Zvex Mastotron. Not too expensive, you can dial some nice gated fuzz tones plus the added low end switch is quite effective. Though this pedal is really in the "fuzz" category IMO.

11. KeTeVemCovers

KeTeVemCovers

Aug 6, 2012
    So far, from what kaputsport said in the review (that its sound is comparable to the Animato), the Digitech HardWire CM-2 fell into my eyes and I'm thinking of getting one, probably with the Boss LS-2 to blend a bit of clean to it. I will definately buy Mastotron in the upcoming 12 months.