BOSS: Single versus multi?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seiji, Apr 8, 2005.

1. I've been thinking about buying the CEB3 Chorus, ODB3 Overdrive, LMB3 Limiter, and the TU2 Tuner for a while now (I really liked them all at the store). However for the money I'm spending on all that I could just as well buy the GT6B Multi-effect for the same price and with a lot more features. Unfortunately my local store doesn't carry it, so I'd have to buy it from the internet without testing it out first.

If anyone here has tried both the single effects and the GT6B, I would really appreciate if you could tell me about the quality between the effects. Do the Overdrive, Chorus, etc. effects on the GT6B really sound as good as those on the single effects?
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, do you want/need all the modeling and stuff that is on the GT-6B? I tried one and it was more than I needed.

I have a Boss CEB-3 and a TU-2. Great pedals. I use a SansAmp BDDI for any overdriven tones - I never really need or like distortion. I doubt you need a limiter. I tried it and didn't like it.
  3. i just sold my gt6b to get seperate pedals.

both have advantages

i think in the long run seperates are more fun and you will probably understand your own custom pedal board better than you will ever understand a gt6b as you will get distracted making stupid noises.

It does have some good sounds on it tho so it is indeed a tough choice.
  4. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    The first thing that would worry me with putting all my pedals in one multi FX is that the floor isnt a very safe place (in my band at least) feet go everywhere and I'd rather have one pedal broken due to stomping feet than a multi FX whitch contained everything.

I have never used the GT6B, but I imagine you'd also be limited in the order you put the fx in the signal chain? whilst if you have seperate boxes you can physicaly move it.

What happens if down the line you change your mind on your chorus sound, or your distortion sound? (ie, you get sick of Boss distortion sounds or something) you could end up with your GT6B and other boxes anyway.
  5. Thanks for your replies guys, very helpful.

But one question: Are there any differences between the sounds on the single-effects and on the GT6B? I mean will you get the same overdrive and chorus sounds as in the ODB3 and CEB3?
  6. you can rearrange the effects chain order on the gt6.
    and surely it is designed to be trodden on??

Very good point about if you get bored of a particular bit and then you dont have the flexibility to just upgrade one specific aspect.
  7. RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The thing is a solid lump of metal.

You could stand on it and the most damage you would do to it would be to break of a knob. If you stood on another pedal you could quite easily snap it.

GT6B is a solid mofo.
  8. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    - The GT-6B was overkill for me. Not only would I never use the modelling but I question if anybody would!

- The price you pay for all the features on the GT-6B is that the user interface is very menu driven; there is a learning curve and it's tough to adjust live.

Check out the Boss ME-50b as it has everthing you want with more flexibility
    Dealy module: Chorus, flange delay, reverb
    Distortion, Overdrive, distortion, high-band distortion and distortion emulators of SansAmp and Mig Muff
    Compressor, including a limiter and compressor emulation

It does everthing you want and more...for less than the GT6-B
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know nothing about the everything-pedals, but I'm a big fan of their compact pedals.

I use the NS-2 Noise Supressor, CS-3 Compressor/sustainer, ODB-3 Distortion, and CEB-3 Chorus.

One strong suggestion I have for you is to try the CS-3 to ODB-3 to CEB-3 combination ([bass]-CS-ODB-CEB-[Amp]). Set the CS-3 like Output=12:00, Tone=2:30, Attack=2:00, Sustain=12:00; the ODB like Output=(equal on/off volumes - soemthing like 10:00), Lows=1:00, Highs=11:00 (definately adjust this one to-taste; it makes a huge difference in the distortion character!), Balance=9:00, Gain=1:30; set the CEB like Effect=3:30, Filter=8:00, Mod=3:00, Depth=9:00.

A great light-OD sound is same as above, except set ODB to Output=(equal on/off volumes - something like 1:00), Lows=1:00, Highs=7:00 (full CCW), Balance=9:00, Gain=7:00 (full-CCW). Notice that it's easy to change between these between songs because the only knob-changes you need are: Output from 10:00 to 1:00, Highs from 11:00 to off, and gain from 1:30 to off.

My main points are that the CS-3 is the ONE effect I'd take-along if I could bring no-other (I used to say 'my Aphex Xciter', but I changed my mind since actually BEING in a couple situations where I've only brought one pedal or the other!) - and that the ODB is quite transformed by the addition of a compressor at its input.

Here's a recent recording of my Peavey 5-string Foundation Bass - wearing T.I. Jazz Flats - through CS-3 to Xciter to ODB to GK amp (all in the loop of the NS-2, for super-quiet noise performance, even at huge gains): Love (small).mp3
    I'm running more gain than I'm suggesting for you, because of the Noise Supressor that's in my setup - with the remote-sensing NS-2 in-play, you can use any insane amount of gain that you want; You'll have NO noise and NO squeeling!
    Some Folks'll look-down-their-nose at Boss pedals, but they've really done me right, for my sound!

10. 3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Very nice tone there Joe! :)

Buying a good multi-fx is a good starting point for one to learn about effects! I used to own a Boss GT-6B, and benefited alot from using it for a short period of time. Currently, I'm down to just 4 pedals - Big Muff, Aphex Punch Factory, Boss bass EQ and an OC-2 octaver. Whats great about single effects is, I can visually grasp what kind of sounds I'm gonna get when playing live, instead of having to menu-surf to know things. As such, I can always tweak on-the-fly with more efficiency, getting the sounds i want if I know my pedals well enough :)
  11. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I love my Boss boxes. They refuse to die and sound damned good trying. I would love for them to custom build me a box which has a couple of effects together, yet has knobs to adjust each one without any digital B.S. or programming. Also, I'd like to be able to use them all together. If I want chorus and flanger, or phaser, or whatever, I can have it.