Boss vs. Fostex Digital Recorders

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Does anyone have opinions on the quality of the Boss digital recorders(Br-864,BR1180CD) compared to the Fostex(don't know the model numbers)8 -track w/cd burner for $599 and the 16 track w/cd burner for $799. The Boss units are going for $399 and $899 at MF.I will mostly be using this for songwriting purposes but would also like a quality machine that won't become obsolete next year like many of the Boss units tend to.Any opinions?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Boss units record in a compressed format (lower fidelity). The Fostex units record uncompressed.

The Boss units have way more built in effects and have built in drum machines. They also have "virtual tracks" which lets you store multiple takes, alternate mixes, etc.

The Boss 864 has a USB interface for transferring files to your computer (none of the other units allow this). This is important since it has no CD burner ;)

To keep the cost down on the 864, Boss leaves out the AC adapter :eek: and gives you a rather small memory card (128 MB). To get a 256MB card and AC adapter adds another $60 or so to the price. On the other hand, you can run the 864 on batteries which may or may not be useful to you.

ANY digital recorder you buy today will be "obsolete" next year if you define obsolescence as a newer unit with more features for the same price.

My advice: if your recording will be "casual" demos of songs you are writing get the 864 and use your PC for CD burning.
  3. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I love the Zoom 802 unit. Easy to use and tons of features+it can burn CDs. Only 2 tracks at a time doesn't bother me as much as not having inserts on the channels. Its well within your price range
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think i'll take your advice.The price jump to the BR1180 doesn't seem to make it any more professional of a machine(only records two tracks at a time) and I just want to use it to write.I think i'll take the extra cash and get decent guitar to record with :bassist:
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I got the cheap little red Fostex and record digitally right into my CD burner. I record tracks to CD's and mix down on way better equipment from there. It was cheap and effective but for making a CD or something you want to put out I would go with the Rolands. But for song writing or doing scratch tracks or click tracks it's great.