Both pickups went microphonic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vanceman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I think both pickups on my Carvin LB70 are microphonic. They capture every touch and all finger noise, and if I touch a screwdriver to the adjustment screws, it sounds just like I'm hitting a mic with the screwdriver. Very treblely sound overall. Anybody know how this happens? Is it fixable, and how do I prevent this in the future? The bass in question is about 15 years old.

2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Just try putting a bit more foam or replacing the foam or springs underneath. All pickups are microphonic to some extent but what could have happened is that over time the foam degraded to the point where it is not really holding the pickup in place anymore.

If that doesn't work, you just got an excuse to go pickup shopping.

3. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Thanks. I'll remove the screws, and lift the pickup out of the body, wires still attached, and see if anything is different.

4. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    If the foam/springs are in good shape, you could also pot the pickup in wax. I've done this on a couple of pickups that had gone microphonic / had too much handling noise as you describe & it worked well.

GT

2saddleslab likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    ^This.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021