bottom and growl

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tronbass, Nov 10, 2005.

1. tronbass

Nov 10, 2005
    what pick ups are the best for 4 string when it comes to deep bottom and growl?
  2. I really like my Dimarzio model J pickups (jazz bass). The only thing I'm not too fond of is the neck pickup. It lacks a little bit of clarity when you play solo. But in a band situation: they growl and have bottom.

One extra trick: you can switch them from parallel to series. They're actually humbuckers. There are reviews of them (and others) in the FAQ section of the Pickups And Electronics section. :smug:
  3. tronbass

Nov 10, 2005
    what about bartolini's. i heard they were amazing for growl, but i don't know about low end.
  4. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have played numerous basses with Bartolini electronics, and one really stuck in my mindn: a pre-gibson tobias. It had two bartolini soapbars and a tct preamp. The bottom was huge! Very solid and tight.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

To me growl is a wiered thing that I've never been able to put a finger on the source so I'm guessing it's a combination of factors that becomes more pronounced when they are aligned, or just something that results from something I don't do - like phase switching/whatever. There's definetly a growl that comes from strings/setup. The growl I experience the majority of the time comes from the strings grazing the frets on slides. Some pups will pickup that sound better than others. Some pups seem to have a bit of growl otherwise.

I don't recall any pup I had that had any significant growl other than slide. I had a pup that was so burpy once that was basically the only sound it had. Never had that in a growl form.

To me growl is a lot easier to recognize when it's present than it is to generate.
  6. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    Srings really help, try DR Fat Beams. Lots of good growl.