Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a TASCAM 788 Yesterday

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Aug 27, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    ... and this thing rocks! It's taken some playing around to get used to it so far, but this thing is exactly what I needed! I can record at least 6 tracks simultaneously if I want to! I haven't played around with any of the built-in effects or anything (not what I need) but for a hard-disk based recorder this thing is the shiznit!

Right now I've got my iPod plugged into the aux inputs, and record whatever song I'm trying to learn first. Then I do a couple of dry runs (set IN & OUT points, click REPEAT, assign input to unused track and hit play) to get into the song. Next, I disable repeat, click REC READY, hit PLAY+RECORD and lay down the bass! There's up to 250 virtual tracks available so you can do multiple takes and pick the best one, etc.

I plugged my computer speakers into the headphone out so I don't need anything else (no bass cabs, etc.) to hear what I'm playing when I want to record.

Once I'm done, I assign the tracks to the mixer, and use the faders to lower the song so I can hear my playing better. Pretty neat, IMO!

This thing is an awesome practice tool, not to mention it replaces other expensive items, like a looper. I can record a 12 bar jazz/blues progression, then copy my recording into another track and tell it to put 12 copies of my first track into the 2nd one so I can jam on top of the first recording. This is totally cool!

I'm really psyched about this thing. I'm going to use it to record some bluegrass picking tomorrow night (woohoo!! washtub bass here I come!), and this thing more than fits the bill.

These things go for about 600 new, but I got a used one with a 1 year no matter what happens it'll be replaced warranty fo 525. Not a bad deal, IMHO.

Anyone else have one of these things that can maybe throw down a few tips/tricks? I downloaded a couple tutorial files from www.tascambbs.com and I've been using the 120 page (one language ;) ) manual to learn the functions, but didn't know if there were some tricks of the trade so to speak that aren't covered in the manuals.

Speaking of manuals, this thing comes with lots of documentation. It comes with an operational tutorial (thank god!) the manual, a roadmap poster that kinda points out the unit's functionality and the manual page that describes how it works, etc.

In case you can't tell, I'm totally digging this. I did have to run to Radio Shack to get some cables / adapters so I can plug in my iPod, and connect to my speakers but other than that, everything was included.

2. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    have you done the 6 tracks simultaneously yet?

i am looking to buy one from the great satan GC.
    well, I will own it for 45 days before returning it.

got a few songs to record. :eyebrow:

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The most I've done is 5 tracks simultaneously but I had no problems whatsoever. My 5 track recordings were done at 24 bit resolution (the highest the 788 offers), and there were no glitches or anything. It just worked.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member