Bought this Musicmaster last week. I noticed something (semi) interesting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Devin Hopkins, Mar 3, 2018.

1. I bought a '70's (not sure what year exactly) Fender Musicmaster last week. I was replacing the jack and I noticed that even though this model doesn't have a thumbrest, there are screw holes under the pickguard for one. It has the same serial number and everything. I wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on this mildly interesting subject.
    bass.jpg basss.jpg bassss.jpg basssssss.jpg

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Based upon the serial number on the head, 1978. But by then the thumb rest was not being used. Maybe a left over body that Fender found and used a few years later? Possible.

3. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    I had a bass that I bought without a thumbrest. I installed a thumbrest with a new pickguard. At some point I decided to ditch the thumbrest and reinstalled the original pickguard.

Your welcome.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've had three '78s, rebuilt a fourth, and all have had thumbrests as originally installed...

-robert

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021