1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boulder Creek Acoustic Basses.....worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modulusgod1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Modulusgod1

Modulusgod1

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi all! New to Talk Bass, played for years, glad to be on a forum for bassists!

Does anyone have experience with Boulder Creek acoustic basses? Want I g to purchase a new ABG that will have enough volume(subjective,I know) to compete acoustically with one stone bridge acoustic guitar. Have a few chepos (Dean, Fender, a cheap Tennessee double neck 4/6). The Dean is not that bad, but have to play with a high action and really dig in with fingers to get a decent tone happening. My old Fender BG-29 is all but useless unplugged except for solo practice, but I love the short scale.

There are only a handful of videos on Boulder Creeks that I can find. Bass player mag had one for review a couple years ago and said that it had good volume(for what it is) and a surprising g amount of low end.

Now I know no ABG is going to have real serious low end, due to the body size. And I really want to keep the overall cost around 800 with bass and case. So that rules out finding a Guild b-30/b-50, Tacoma, Martin. If I wanted to blow a big chunk I wld buy a Rigel ABG. So the o my ones that are feasable for me IMHO are a Boulder Creek or a Breed love solo 350. I prefer a fretted, but if a fretless popped up and I loved the sound I might be game.

so my question is does ANYONE have experience with a Boulder Creek or Breedlove acoustics? Can't judge a lot of virus for overall tone, and I live in Toledo Ohio and there are just no shops local that carry Boulder Creek. gui**** center says they can get me a breed love. I wld like to be able to play both in person before buying one. Been disappointed to many time by impulse buys. Thanks for any info!

2. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I haven't been impressed with the few Breedloves I've tried. Boulder Creek looks like a nice design and people report back good things about them, including relative volume.

Your $800 should be able to get you a Tacoma if you are patient enough to wait it out since they are somewhat scarce. The Tacoma is by far my favorite of the ones I've tried through the years. I've never tried one of the big Guilds, or an Earthwood, unfortunately. But every Tacoma felt, played and sounded great.

3. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    While I have absolutely no input regarding Boulder Creek basses, I do know that Hello Music has the EBR6-N4 Koa Top model for $498. Also, received an email from them today that advertises $50 off a $400 or more purchase with code "MADNESS50". So $448 seems considerably less than everywhere else. FWIW.

4. Modulusgod1

Modulusgod1

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks TXLawDawg!

5. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sho'nuff :bassist:

6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Definitely following this, I've wanted an ABG for some time to play outside with a friend's Cajon (awesome instrument, check them out!). Been looking at Boulder Creek, reviews and soundbites are rare, but they've all been positive from what i can tell.

7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am on my fourth and favorite ABG. It is a 4 string fretted Boulder Creek.
    It is by far my favorite and the loudest, both acoustically and plugged in. Still acoustically it is strictly for practice and maybe playing with one acoustic guitar. Most threads on ABG's state that you probably will need a small amp. I am in the process of experimenting with strings. The original strings seem to be the loudest. I presently have TI Acousticore's but will be putting on LaBella White tapes on it tuesday. They will be quieter acoustically but I am looking forward to see what it sounds like plugged in.

Have not owned a breedlove and only played them at GC.

this is the stock photo of my model. Love the finish.

EBR1-TB4+%281%29.

8. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Love my Boulder Creek and have been eyeing that Koa on Hello Music, because of its looks.
    Played the 4 and the 5 string versions and decided to buy the 4 string. The 5er was kind of heavy and the spacing was kind of narrow for me.
    The action comes a little higher than I like, so I am having a luthier cut a new saddle. The original is cheap molded plastic, so that will be an upgrade.
    Sounds great both plugged and unplugged.
    I played a few Breedloves and they look and play great, but unplugged they don't come near the power of the Boulder Creek. I would be curious to try that short scale Breedlove, should be very comfortable.

9. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    While your doing the saddle you might want to have him make you a new bone nut. I had mine at the luthiers and we were putting on the Labella White tapes. While installing the new strings the corner of the nut broke off. It was just a piece of cheap soft plastic. Had him make me a new bone nut.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Wow, really?
    I can't imagine anything being acoustically quieter than TI acoustics. Than again, I had no idea LaBella White Tapes existed. So there ya go!

11. Silverhorizon

Silverhorizon

Mar 8, 2013
    If you're looking for an ABG that will compete with guitars, go for tanglewood. They currently make some of the best acoustic basses on the market right now.

I bought a Tanglewood Tab1-CE and I regularly compete with two guitarists and a singer acoustically. It is a very good bass and I suggest you get it as your first ABG. The woodwork is also incredible, all my guitarists friends want to play it when ever I bring it to school. Not only that, but it has really good pick ups if you ever play a gig.

I bought it solely because it was loud, so all the other goodies like a pretty design and good pick ups were a bonus.

Here is a picture of mine:
    Acoustic_bass.

12. You'll never really be loud enough with an ABG, especially when you head outside and have to deal with any rumbling cars going by or wind. I love my Roland Microbass battery powered amp. Lasts forever on 6 AA batteries, fits in a small shoulder bag.

13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    2 cents - have another player play the instrument in question. Acoustic instruments almost always sound fuller from several feet away, especially basses.

I have a 6" deep Cort ABG that is the loudest abg I've played, but when another bassist played it, and I was across the room, I really heard it, and was surprised how well it shows up with even 2-3 other instruments.

Same with my URB. You can't really hear an acoustic at 'ground zero'. My URB seems below average to me. During a soundcheck , a bandmate was convinced it was in the PA when listening from the audience level when the bass wasn't even mic'd.

* I was lucky to get to play a few notes on a Taylor ABG the other day. Although not nearly as 'loud' as my Cort, it has a great tone, and does have low fundamentals most abgs lack. Very soft, but there. I wouldnt drop $2k on one tho -

14. mgash

mgash

Mar 8, 2006
    folsom ca
    As an impulse buy i go a 5 string fretless electric. It is now the bass i use the most. if their acoustics is as good as their electric than it is a nice bass

15. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I was wrong :crying: the labella's are not acoustically quieter and pleasantly surprised. Love the new strings nice Bottom, brightness and no finger noise.....

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Earthwoods were serious! The Guild had great tone but limited volume. It would have sounded better with a solid non ply top. I didn't love the short scale. The Dave Maizes are outstanding!

17. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Don't ever see a Maize come up for sale. He used to take out small ads in BP magazine in the days before the internets. I had him send me a brochure and a few pics. They sure are pretty instruments. Deep bodies too so I always imagined they were, relatively, quite loud.

18. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Sorry folks, but this has become a "name your ABG" thread. The OP only asked about Boulder Creek and Breedlove.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If his needs as he described them could possibly be met by something similar does it hurt to mention it?

The problem also is that someone comes in about the possible volume.

These are conversational forums and they do wend their way off and on topic but include all the wonders of human conversation. Thanks for mentioning the possible derail. If the OP's interest is piqued and he participates then is it wrong? Perhaps his initial queries were satisfied very early.

20. I've currently got a KOA Boulder and it is no louder or quieter than my previous ABGs. German Warwick Alien, Tacoma. All need an amp when playing with even one acoustic guitar.