Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bound Neck Nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blipndub, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Trying to get a nut on an allparts bound neck and am having trouble with the spacing. It seems like in order to fit the nut in the slot that is bound in (so it's a sealed rectangle) I have to sacrifice spacing at the nut. Is it just assumed that bound necks have tighter spacing or do sometime nuts "go over" the binding, or even more drastic, do I cut away the binding at the nut?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't word it any better and it proves I used the search function before posting!

Anyone?

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Without pics we will just guess.

I would notch the nut or the binding so that the center of the nut fits to the center of the neck. Nice oldie by the way ;)

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    [​IMG]

Kinda small but you can see that the nut slot ends are closed off by the binding.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would notch the nut. What kind of nut are you planning on using? Are you starting with a blank? If you are starting with a blank it would be just one more step in the proses.