Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bow makers..

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by chipsas, Sep 8, 2005.

1. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    George Rubino, Zdzislaw Prochownik... who know them?
    any other recommendations...? price around 1000-1500$...

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I have played several Prochownik bows and thought they were an excellent value in that price range.

You could also look into Gilles Duhaut.

Get several to try and spend some time going through them with your teacher and other bass players. It's important to hear what each bow sounds like from a listeners standpoint as well as a player. (I mean physically being in front of the bass, or behind it)

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Chasarms bow guy is good i just forget his name

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    fellow flathead here Chipsas...

5. Tom Owen, I believe.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Is George Rubino in the 1,000 to 1,500 range?

You must also look into Rodney Mohr, Susan Lipkins & Ole Kanestrom...just to name a few. These of course may be over your budget...but worth a serious look none the less.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Sue quoted me 5k earlier in the year when I got on the list for 2 years down the road. That's $500. higher than the Bows she took orders for a year or so ago.

I offered this guy (chipsas) 2 bows in his range but he is still shopping. Only DZ in my area that's up here and maybe one other guy had tried these Bows. He also asked about my Bultitude but that's even over Sue's prices and I'm not so sure I even want to sell it.

A Bow maker will charge what he can get for a Bow and not necessarly what it's worth on the market as compared to older bows already in circulation. Pernambucco is not as easy to get as it once was. The quality of the bow starts with the wood. I prefer buying older Bows whenever possible. Sue's bow is one I have heard alot about and she has a good supply of wood.

It's all in the Playability and sound produced that makes the final decision. Not the attractive or impressive price and not the name stamped in the stick.

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Eric Lane is a good bowmaker with bows definitely in that price range. He sometimes retails through Cincinnatti Bass Cellar, or he works at Reuning and Sons in Boston. I have played many of his bows and they are all worth the money IMHO.

FWIW,
    Brian

9. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    ken, i think there's no rush.. :) i have a few month to decide and i just wanna learn more about bows at the moment, and only then start trying them.. i have no possibility to try a lot of them, so.. it's not easy to decide, you know.. , and when i choose, don't wanna waste my time and money with trying bows anymore..:)

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I fully understand. I was just tring to tell you that DZ knows these bows and you can PM him if you like.

One way is to buy 2 or so from each seller, pay with Visa and send one or both back and get the Credit after returing the Bow(s). This way you pay shipping 2 ways but can try them out. Many dealers work this way with long distance customers.

I have taken out Basses b4 and paid for them. If I return the Bass, I get 100% refund if returned in same condition.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm not sure, but I think George is a bit beyond that price range. I could be wrong, though. He's a very nice guy to deal with.

12. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    ok..
    i wish he had bigger assortment of bows..:)
    i'm not interested in his bultitude bow, 'course this bow is too expensive for me..

13. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    george rubino Bows Starting at $1000.00..

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    D'oh!.... I just discovered that, after visiting his website. When I last saw him, he looked at my cheapo bow, smiled, and said, "Let me know what you need when you're ready, and I'll ship some bows out to you". Very cool guy.

15. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Perhaps George has bows in different price categories? I haven't looked at his site...but I will now.

The person I know of that has one of George's bows paid more than that, and he bought it some time ago...

Anyone on TB own one of Rodney Mohr's bows? His are fantastic, and he has won numerous VSA gold medals for them. Try http://www.vsa.to/pastwinners.htm if you want to find some really good names to shop.

I had an invitation to apprentice with Rodney, but I passed it up as Rodney has a huge cashew habit and I am deathly allergic to tree nuts! Pernambucco is also not very nice to me...so working with it as a profession didn't seem like a good choice!

16. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    yes, perhaps he has bows in different prices.. but i dont know yet how varies his prices..
    hmm... looking for names there you can go too far afield, i think..:)

17. I got my first bow from Sue when she was relatively unknown: $1,800.
    All I'm trying to do here is make you feel bad. :)

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Damn.. You did.. :crying: I'll get your address from Arnold.. :ninja: Then again, in 1973 my Sartory cost $400. Fantoni was mad at me for spending so much for it. The last one sold in town b4 that was only $250. I have seen them from $9,500-$14,000. within the last year.

Well, I feel fine because I have a Bultitude now and 'it plays me'!! :hyper:

Don, I won't be breaking in anytime soon.. :eyebrow:

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what on earth are you talking about old man ???

20. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    DZ? or is it Dizzy? Can't read the fine print man, getting older daily!

Tell me what you had trouble comprhending and I will 'SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU !!!!! :D