Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bow Re-grip

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by B. Graham, Aug 9, 2004.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've finished refinishing my spare bow, and am ready to re-grip it. I'm looking at a lizard skin grip from International Violin. How does one afix the grip to the bow?

Thanks.

2. Bill, it depends on the thickness of the lizard skin. If the grip is thin, consider gluing a stip of paper under the grip to build it up. The grip should overlap the stick about 1/4" round. The edges tht wrap around the stick should be skived to paper thin for about 1/4"-3/8" on the back side on both ends. That is so when you wrap it around there is no lump or bump where they over lap. The other two edges should be skived about 3/32". That will allow the ends to fold over giving a nice finished look. Glue it on with the thickest hide glue you can make. You want it as sticky as you can get it . Turn the stick with one hand while pressing the grip between your thumb and fingers of the other hand. I't no problem if you get some glue on the top. Just wipe if off with a damp cloth before it dries. More to it than you thought?

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    But of course. I always assume so, but thankfully I'm hear to learn something, and humbly ask for guidance. Thanks Bob.