Bozz burrell-Bad Company..?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mrneek, May 5, 2005.

1. mrneek

Apr 17, 2005
    Bozz burrell was the bass player from Bad Co. signed to Swansong(Led Zeppelins label)in the 70's.In my formative years learning how to play bass,I always thought this guy had the coolest bass playing.He never overplayed or underplayed.Has anybody heard this guy?(under-rated in my mind).
  2. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    never heard Bad Company, but really love his playing on King Crimson's album.

really smooth nice playing nothing too much just what it needs, and also, he sings while playing which for me a gift from nature (so difficult)

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I've known Boz for about 8 years. He recently bought a house in Spain, so I don't see him as much now. We were both in the same click and I even subbed for several of his gigs.
    He was into his jazz theory, and we used to chat about stuff. He was really into the "harmonic major" scale when we last spoke.
    When Bad Company reformed a few years back, Boz didn't really get treated with enough "respect" from Mr. Rodgers IMO.
    He was playing a thumb bass when I met him, but I think he's into Lakland basses now. The funny thing is, Boz was known as a jazz singer
    in London before he made his money playing rock. He was a funny guy with the typical English "dry" wit. :rolleyes:
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I only know him from Bad Co. and he is a great bassist!

1.Evertyhing I have heard him do with Bad Co. was fretless which gave his playing a great ‘flavour’. It sounded unique in a hard rock environment.

I did a cover of "Can't Get Enough" and learned a lot about bass playing from this song. After the guitar solo, the chorus repeats about a half dozen times. Boz does a different bass line very repeat which keeps the song interesting.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Didn't Robert Fripp teach Boz how to play bass IN THE STUDIO? That's quite impressive, Boz must have been a real quick learner.

Oh yeah: Fripp>Everybody

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved his style in Bad Company! He was another one of the pre Jaco fretless players, along with Freebo & Rick Danko.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The story goes that Robert Fripp drafted Boz in to sing on the King Crimson album "Islands" (one of my favourites) - which has a lot of great British (Free) Jazz players from the time.

But they didn't have a permanent bass player then, so Fripp taught Boz to play bass guitar in the studio for the tracks which were instrumental /jam-based - the lines are simple,repetitive, but effective! :)

The album has some weird instrumentation and sounds like it took a lot of time to make with various musicians coming in and out over a long period - so it's not too hard to believe, given that Boz was already used to improvising vocally and that Jazz vocalists need to be musicians as much any instrumentalists .....?
  8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oddly enough, in a interview from a couple of years back he stated that it was hard for him to listen to those old BadCo. tracks due to the many "out of tune" notes he hit using the fretless so much.