Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brad Smith of Blind Melon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by phaneo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Any of you out there remember how great Brad Smith of Blind Melon was? If you don't think so pick up any Blind Melon or Unified Theory CD. I have just been listening to some and it's been a while. Man this guy is amazing. Any others????

2. I used to own their "Soup" album and I agree he is a very talented, tasteful bass player. I was in a band that did "2x4" and that cemented it for me.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVED Blind Melon...still do, in fact. I thought that they were an outstanding band that really could have developed into something big...even bigger than they were. The whole band was outstanding and I was really disappointed/saddened when Shannon died. Unfortunatley, I never got to see them live. :(

4. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I did get to see them live right before Shannon died, it was amazing. Brad Smith and one of the guitarists formed a band called Unified Theory afterwards. I saw them at a small club in Dallas, having heard none of the music.......BLOWN AWAY!! Pick up their self titled debut it'll be a good buy. JPJ...Brad plays all fender jazz basses, and his tone is killer. Think that set of nords you pm'ed me about will help mine cut through like that?

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Don't see why not! :D I thought it was interesting how his tone changed from the first album to the second...almost like how Tim Cummorford's tone changed. While it might have just been the recording process/room/engineer/producer/etc., Brad's tone was really trebly on the first album, but he seemed to really phatten things up in later recordings. Personally, I thought that his tone improved greatly, but his bass lines were always killer. I still get inspired by his lines and approach to playing. On top of that, his lines are just so fun to play! :)

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Big Blind Melon fan here...I really dug their albums, and recently, I was just uploading the CD onto my iPod and it certainly brought back some memories.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Big fan of Melon and Smith here as well. They never released anything that wasn't excellent, IMHO. Even the overplayed hit song was a good one.

I have Brad's Abandon Jalopy CD ("No Mercy"), though I don't recommend it, frankly. In my opinion, it isn't very good.