1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Brand New Love Affair - Chicago

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Oct 3, 2017.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Part I is two verses, then part II starts at letter C. This is where the bass gets interesting. It's swing 16th notes, so two 16th notes feel like three where the first and second are tied. Part II starts with an 8 bar vamp on G7, then goes into a 12 bar blues in F where the last four measures are an A7 chord. Lots of 16th note triplets. Then 6 bars of the G7 vamp, and ends with an Eb7 F7 G7 pattern.
    I had never heard this before. Thanks to JimK for alerting me to it. Peter Cetera was a great bass player.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Saw a cover band do this in the '70s at a HS Dance. Was blown away by it.

Awesome job, Lee!

LeeNunn likes this.
  3. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    The Eb leading the D (5th of G) in sections A and B is an interesting chord choice

4. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I agree. And understanding the chords makes the bass so much easier to figure out. I'm a recent convert to Chicago. Somehow I overlooked this music as I was growing up.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lee-
    Chicago's debut, IMO, is one of the best debut recordings by any group...any genre.

Other "deep" Cetera cuts to check out-
    "Sing A Mean Tune, Kid"- Chicago III
    "What's This World Comin' To"- Chicago VI
    "Skin Tight"- Chicago X
    "Scrapbook "- Chicago X
    "Mississippi Delta City Blues"- Chicago XI

LeeNunn likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My 1st-ever issue of Downbeat magazine had the Readers Poll...Album of the Year, Musician of the Year, Best Bass, Best Drummer, etc.
    Anyway, Best Bass had about 20 names...at the time, the only ones I knew were Cetera, Bruce, & Squire. At the top were guys like Carter, Mingus, Brown, McBee, Holland, Clarke, etc. Guys I grew to love later.
    So I ask my cooler, hipper cousin... "Cetera, the guy in Chicago"?
    He sez, "...yeah, he can play Jazz".

Chicago (& Blood Sweat & Tears) always on my list of Pop/Rock/Jazz favourites.

7. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Inactive

Sep 12, 2017
  8. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No way that is Kath on bass.
    Sorry, that is a pretty sophisticated bass line.
    Kath is one of my favourite guitarist...so I am not dissing him.

FWIW, I just checked the liners on both the LP (1975) and the most recent version of the cd (2002)...
    Cetera on bass, vocals
    Kath on guitar, vocals

Duke Ellington is listed as a composer in Lee's All Music link. I thought that odd...on the cd, there is a Bonus Cut (live), "Satin Doll".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  10. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Inactive

Sep 12, 2017
    Those are band credits. They're not always accurate. Bailey is listed as guitarist on 21, but he swears he never played a note on that album, that it was a studio musician.