1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Break Music - CDs or Ipods?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MNAirHead, May 3, 2010.

1. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

What are you guys using for break music??? mp3 players or ipods?

Tim

2. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    iPod

3. MNAirHead

That's kind of my current thought..

I'm leary of 2 things.. batteries going dead.. and an unintended track going through the mains.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    1) Run it off of a powered dock / power adapter.

2) Make a playlist for set breaks, don't leave it to shuffle.

5. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Mp3 player works for me. Batteries are an issue but I carry lots: effect processors, wireless mikes, active pickups etc. Unintended tracks??? Never heard of that issue before even when all levels are left all the way up. I have used an ipod but I had to go find the owner to work it for me (pain).

6. MNAirHead

Thanks Nick..

7. MNAirHead

James..

Unintended tracks. meaning my KebMo stuff going off when I'm 1/2 way accross the room.

We're going to engineer our own bumper music (theme band).

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

iPod & Zune

9. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    This ^.

But... Most bars around here will just turn the jukebox back on.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I have a playlist of about 50 tunes that are similar to what we play, but not on our set list.

I set it to shuffle during set up, and leave it playing the entire night. Just fade up during breaks.

11. MNAirHead

Our written agreement prevents this... we have period theme bumpers.. this is the interest in having it work out correctly.

12. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Battery - never had that problem, but if I know it's a really important show and HAVE to have it, I bring the charger and cable and plug it in.

Unintended Track - ?? - don't really know how this would happen - maybe in shuffle mode, playing the whole iPod, but I have multiple playlists for different things, and never had any problem.

I use mine for weddings, dinner music, same-type music (playlist is same style as what we play, but none of the same songs), and then lots of other genre-specific playlists (Classical, Rock, Country, Dance/Disco, 80's, Oldies, 90's, Modern rock....)

We also bring a CD player too, just in case it's needed.

13. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Cd player......but only because my ipod has yet to be loaded with gig songs :)

14. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I use an iPod but all my music is loaded at CD quality. I can't stand the sound of MP3's through PA systems. I also use a dock so my audio doesn't have to pass through the iPod's headphone amp.

In terms of music, I actually create timed playlists for each break since club managers appreciate bands that can start/stop on-time. The second to last song of each playlist will always be by the same band (i.e The Rolling Stones) so I know when I hear that band it's time to return the stage & tune up for the next set.

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i try to play cd's that people hand to me and say "check out my band!"
    either it's good, and the friends in the house get all warm and fuzzy inside, and i let it play..... or it's bad, and they still get all warm and fuzzy inside because i'm playing it. the bad gets ejected after the first tune. afterwards, they all become coasters. unless someone asks where to buy the cd's. then i sell it.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I typically use Sansa mp3 players for break music, that have folders with the break music I want on them - haven't had any trouble that way yet...

- georgestrings

17. Typically, we don't play break music at sound for hire gigs...the clubs I have been working have their own recorded mix (NO DJ, just a computer generated list of recorded music).

When we used to be asked for break music, we carried (still in the gear box if needed) an iPod AND a $20 Discman.

If we are handed a CD by the promoter-client, we play it.

If the promoter-client asks for us to provide some break music, we have 4 or 5 basic generic mixes of different genre of music loaded on the iPod...i.e.: about 30-45 minutes of country, 30-45 minutes of top 40 rock, about 30-45 minutes of heavy rock and about 30-45 minutes of Southern Rock/classic rock and blues.

If we know in advance the "genre of choice" (i.e. we are booked at a blues festival) then we will load up quite a bit of music of that genre.

And we NEVER played recorded music of any artist that was performing at that event.

18. We left the ipod on shuffle for giggles once. The Spanish lessons were a cracker.

19. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I have 2 little 1gb shuffles I got for $20ea on a forum 1 day, I take em with me. if one happens to run out of batteries I got the backup, but that thing holds hours of battery time so I havent needed #2 yet

20. MNAirHead

I'm obsessively addicted to Phillips Go Gear USB direct mp3 players tons easier than an Ipod...

====

My shuffle apprehension is from having a screen saver pop up during a presentation.. infront of hundreds:mad: I'll just leave it at that (I wasn't hired back)