Brian Bromberg's new pickup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Brad_Pearson, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Paging @Brian Bromberg ! I remember you mentioning a new pickup a couple years ago in a video, something you were working on with BSX? I've seen some new live videos of it and I think it sounds great, probably a very useful sound in loud situations or ones with less than ideal acoustics.

Care to share any info?

Here's where he mentions working on it

Here it almost looks like some kind of preamp is on the tailpiece?

Killer playing here supporting some younger players. So cool to see that.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Brian is a incredible player, my favorites of his are the Toot's Theilmans Brazilian Albums. While his personal sound preference aren't anything like mine
    I respect the music and artistry of his musicianship and soul.

Brad_Pearson and Joshua like this.

3. Totally get that!

Im curious about the pickup for more reason than just sound. I like the idea of pickups built into the bridge, rather than some mechanism that is added on. The Barbera pickup interested me, but I read that it could be unreliable, not sure if he's still in business. The Wilson is also something I'm looking into for this kind of sound, but the price is astronomical when you convert euros to CAD.

4. Have you considered the Yamahiko? The exchange rate between CAD and JPY looks to be very good right now (based on graphs, idk what things actually cost in Canada). It's certainly at a very competitive price point in the US right now. I haven't used it, but people rave about it. I think the bridge wheel adjuster installation is very nice because it offers the benefits of a permanent pickup, but can be moved to another bass if you ever sell our buy another one.

Brad_Pearson likes this.
  5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There’s a dual-side Yamahiko in the classifieds right now (not mine).

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    ‘One of the drawbacks of having a piezo sensor built into the bridge is the potential for breakage. That was always an issue with the original Barcus Berry Bridge and definitely a problem with the Barbera. As far as I know, the Wilson doesn’t have as much of a issue with this. My take is that the Yamahiko will get you the same
    Sound with out sacrificing your bridge.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Brad_Pearson likes this.
  7. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Barbera is still in business. Rich comes to my Sunday brunch gig once in a while in NJ (he lives in Staten Island).

Brad_Pearson likes this.
  8. If I recall correctly, Rich has made some changes over time that have made his pickups less fragile. Maybe it's the material he inserts into the bridge, but I can't remember for certain anymore.

Brad_Pearson likes this.
  9. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey guys, you know it's funny, the bass I am playing in that video was a bass owned by a fan who very sadly passed away way to early in life. His family wanted me to have his bass as it was an early model of the German Stoll replica of my Italian bass. I am honored to have that be the bass that I travel with. Those gigs in Texas where the video was from was really the first time I played that bass on the road and with the new prototype BSX bridge/pick-up configuration. I have played the same bass since I was 16 years old, that was a very long time ago. The fact that I still kinda sound like me playing a totally different bass made about 300 years apart proves that so much of your sound comes from your hands and your body. Different bass, different pick-up, different amp etc. and it still sounds like me. The BSX bridge pick-up configuration is pretty damn amazing. It comes with a three band EQ and a volume control. We are still working through some things, but I was so impressed with it that I had Dino from BSX put his bridge pick-up system on my 300 year old Italian bass, that's how much I believe in it. The other cool thing about it is that you can blend other pick-ups with it to add a totally different aspect to your sound. It is going to be truly a great system!

10. Firstly, I'm sorry to about your fans passing. Sweet of the family to offer you the bass. You sound fantastic on it!

Is there any kind of timeline/speculated price on the forthcoming pickup? I could also email Dino if you can't comment on that. I'm a total nerd for this stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to reply man, very cool of you. My first bass teacher hipped me to your recordings with Alan Broadbent and I've been a fan ever since!

11. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Thanks Brad, Alan Broadbent is truly gifted and an amazing musician, it was such a pleasure to work with him. I will talk with Dino and see what's going on, and thank you for your interest and kind words......B2

geoffbassist likes this.