Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulter, Jan 18, 2004.

1. faulter

faulter Guest

Jan 18, 2004
    hey im new here to these forums and i have a question for you guys...do any of you know if Brice bass guitars are any good, im thinking of buying a five string (click link at bottome to see it)if any of you know anything about them please respond and share your opinion on them...thanks

Brice 5 string

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Check out the Essex megathread... Brice is made by the same company. All of your questions should be answered in those 80 some pages.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do a search. Brice and Essex basses are very popular here.

4. faulter

faulter Guest

Jan 18, 2004
    alright thanks alot

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    :hyper:

I just got a Brice 6 string unline fretless yesterday. I have only played it acoustically and with headphone amp, but so far I am shocked and totally psyched about how good it is. Set up really well, feels great (like buttah!), very responsive. Only thing I have a bit of trouble with is the electronics controls. They are a bit confusing.

I paid $243 with tax for this fretless 6 and it feels as sweet as my vintage Hearfield 6, which at the time I bought it (1993) was way north of $1000. I would consider Brice to be a superb bargain-- great for the money, and great for an instrument double or more the price.

Hope this helps. If you are in the NY/NJ area, it is certainly worth paying a visit to Rondo Music, who I believe is the exclusive retailer of these basses. They have some sick deals. They had a Brice 5 string fretted floor model for $99. Was quite tempting...

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Brice HXB-405 natural. It's really nice. Almost everything is good to go. I find that the electronics are kind of weak, however they make do for a backup bass. A new set of pickups and pre-amp will make this bass a contender with ones costing up to 4 times as much.

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    :bassist:

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Brice and SX are not made by the same company. They are different brands imported by the same store. Brice is made in Korea. The nicer Rogues are made in that same Korean factory. SX is made in China, I think their parent company is called Team International. Both are generally regarded as good inexpensive basses here on TB.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Any news on the 35" scale wide 5-string Brice yet?

10. jammin_fool

jammin_fool

Nov 19, 2009
    Oaklyn, NJ
    I just got myself a Brice HXB-405 5 string with the satin finished ash body with bubinga cap (delivered on Wednesday, already gigged with it Saturday night). While I am not in a position to own a $1500+ axe, I have had the pleasure to play them in the past, which does give me a standard to judge against. My economic position (or lack of such)notwithstanding, I am extremely happy with my Brice!:smug: It plays very nice, the action is great (out of the box, it was fairly low and fast), the neck is a slim, shallow U shape, but has just enough heft to be comfortable. The electronics are fairly versatile, and contrary to the above statement, I don't think they sound thin at all! It has an active/passive bypass pull/push switch on the master volume, a fader for the twin humbuckers, and master bass and treble controls. The bridge is fairly chunky and looks nice and solid, and is extremely adjustable...it took me a whole 5 minutes to fine tune the intonation, as it was almost spot on right out of the box. The 35 inch scale helps eliminate B string warble, but it still feels nice and loose as far as string tension goes. And, as an extra added bonus, the bass weighs in at around 7.5 pounds...which is a huge advantage for me, as I have severe neck and back problems that make playing a heavier axe impossible for more than a set. All in all, I feel I got a great deal from Kurt and RondoMusic.com...anything I saw in my local music stores in the same price bracket (sub $300) felt more like beginner toys, but the Brice actually feels like an instrument I can play professionally (and I will)!:bassist:

11. ChristianOnBass

ChristianOnBass

Dec 17, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Take my advice; I'm not using it;)
    I don't know what model mine is except that it is not active, and it is a 5 string. I was looking on the popular site that starts with the letter "C", and at the time I had very little money. I went to the guy's house an was quite happy with the bass I bought. I got it cheap. Hell I was strung out on H and was still able to afford it! Fortunately I cleaned up since then. I still have the bass, and I am loving it even more!

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Gasp, I didn't know they are making a wide model.

In any case, I have an HXB-405. I too found the electronics to be lacking, and replaced the preamp with an Aguilar obp-3, and also replaced the bridge with a hipshot a-style .708 brass model to widen the string spacing a bit. For the total $500 investment, it plays like a much more expensive bass. And heck, if you don't want to spend the extra dough, it's still a great sounding, inexpensive bass.

By the way, OP, your link doesn't work.

13. Zombie thread