1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge adjustment/String question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    The last time I was at the luthier for a setup he mentioned he would have liked to move the bridge slightly toward the fingerboard, but because I had installed a gut cored string instead of a steel cored strings it might cause a problem with the strings. I'm thinking of switching to Evah Pirazzi's with a synthetic core, but won't be able to make it to my luthier in the immediate future to have the bass setup done. If I put on the new strings and he decides to adjust the bridge placement toward the fingerboard will the strings be compromised?

2. His concern might have been that some gut core strings will begin to get loosened windings if the break point over the bridge is shifted too much once the strings are settled in. It should not be an issue if the strings are replaced at the same time the bridge is moved.

Did he say why he would like to have shifted the bridge position? Usually that is only done when something else has been changed that requires a compensation at the bridge.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    perhaps the bridge was not in the right place to start with.

4. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Tucker is right. The top also has a small sound post crack so I think he wanted to make an adjustment for that too. I guess I'll just wait before putting on new strings till I can get it in and have some work done.

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    He's going to fix that crack, isn't he ;)

Otherwise, you's waitin' fer trouble.

6. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    its been cleated, the bass really isn't worth patching