Bridge Crack inquiry

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by troutmask, May 31, 2012.

1. troutmask

troutmask

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hello,
    I have a small crack on the base of my bridge on the e-side. It starts on the middle of the foot (of the bridge), which rests on the body, and moves up a little along the side.
    Still being a Newb, I might not have spotted the crack upon purchase, but, it does seem as if some glue has been applied to the crack, maybe not. I will insert a couple of pictures, I apologize in advance for the quality, it was a hard shot in my dark room. I'm just wondering as to whether I should take it back to the luthier and see about fixing it, or wait til I need to change the strings to address the problem. I'm starting lessons at school next week, and just want to be prepared.
    thanks a bunch

Attached Files:

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I think you should take it back to the vendor and ask them to fix it. Its not going to cause a big problem, but over time it might separate enough to cause an annoying buzz...

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Whats the value of the bass?

4. troutmask

troutmask

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    about 3k, I put up 2500 and gave him a 1/4 size engelhardt for the other 500 value,
    it's a 61' E.H Roth, either built by Albert Roth, or Ernst III.

5. if/when, you replace the bridge you might request whomever, to leave a little more "meat on da feat". after you fine tune your skills you can fine tune the instrument.

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Then it's worth having a new bridge cut. But if you have to suggest info about foot thickness, take it to someone else! And you may as well get an adjustable bridge if you do it. Expect to spend several hundred for quality work.

7. troutmask

troutmask

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, figured as much, I'll shop it.
    On bridge adjustors, are they pretty beneficial to have?
    In Houston, Humidity is pretty stable, so I might not absolutely need them (if string height can even be attributed to climate>Newb remark) But, I would like being able to raise/lower the strings accordingly, or to experiment.
    I'm just not able to spend much money, If I can help it, I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Adjusters are very helpful. Before them bassists often needed two bridges. Yeah, climate / seasonal change is a huge factor but you never know when things may need a little tweak - for example steel strings to a softer string like Obligatos.

And adjusters can be made from many different materials. I remember reading an article that studied how the different materials transferred vibrations and the conclusion was that the cheaper aluminum was the best... I had nice brass ones switched out to aluminum on mine. Very happy with it and being able to adjust the bridge.

Hope this helps.

9. troutmask

troutmask

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Very much so, thanks a bunch

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021