Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge dimension for 1/8 bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by wphantom, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Hey All,

On my EUB, bridge width at the feet is 115mm. I found that this corresponds to the width of 1/8 bass bridge. I wonder if my bridge is really a 1/8 bridge or it is of some special dimensions (note that my EUB have a 3/4 vibrating length).

What are all the dimentions of a 1/8 bridge ? (thickness at bottom, height at higher point...).

My bridge was broken during transport. I've glued the feet and it works (at least I can play) but it might not last long... If it is
    a standard 1/8 bridge it would be quite easy to find a new one...
    Thanks in advance for any info

Sylvain

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The specs I have on file (from another source) for a 1/8 size bass bridge:
    4.53" from foot edge to foot edge
    3.94" bridge width before it begins to taper
    5.00" from feet to just before it begins to taper.

3. droo

droo

Nov 1, 2004
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Is there any info on the web about standard bridge dimensions? I need to know similar info for a 1/2 size bridge...

4. If I'm not mistaken, the foot spread of the bridge is determined by the location of the bass bar.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My resource says-
    5.43" from foot edge to foot edge
    4.72" bridge width before it begins to taper
    5.98" from feet to just before it begins to taper.

Don contributes a wise comment-- as I mention in the auctions for my adjustable bridge and will be adding to my Bridge Page (where you'll find measurements for an uncut 1/2 size bridge):
    How can I be sure I have the right size bridge?
    If you look or feel inside through the E string f-hole, you will find the Bass Bar; it runs parallel to and below the E string. If you measure from the middle of the bar to the mid-point of the bass and double the measurement, you now know the proper measurement of the bridge's feet when measured from center to center. Choose a replacement bridge in that range (most basses are 3/4 size, approximately four inches from the center point of each foot ) with a height larger than your current bridge.