Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge feet a touch lower on the e string side?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rob f johnson, Jan 7, 2006.

1. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    hey all. i just set my bridge up the other night lineing the bridge feet up with the f hole notches, and when lineing up the bridge, the bridge is on a very slight angle down on the e side? is this normal? or are my notches of center?
    thanks any adivce welcome.
    rob

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well I am not sure I fully understand you. Are the Notches or FF holes slightly offset or is the Top sunken under the E-foot of the Bridge over the BassBar. .. Or a little of Both?

If it's the Notches then measure from the bottom of the Peg Box to the Bridge feet and make this even from side to side. Also, just incase you neck is not 100% parallel, measure this from the root of the Neck as well where the Neck meets the Top on the sides under the edge of the Fingerboard. Many of the older handmade Basses are slightly offset so the FF notches are only a starting point. Then you have to square this to the actual Bass and make sure your String Length is the same from the Nut to the Bridge at the G, E and center between the D and A strings.

Do all this and you will have your Bridge centered. The Notches do not tell all on centering, only a starting point in my experience.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Your post reads like the notches are slightly off center. Just even the bridge either a little up or a little down. Not a big deal.

4. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    thanks ken. im referring to the f hole notches not pointing directly across to each other. if looking at the bass the port side f hole notch is
    pointing a little low. could i measure from the nut to the bridge? is there a set measurement for string length?
    thanks
    ps; I really love your electric basses!
    one day i will get one.

5. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    thanks nick i will straighten it out.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Like I said, this is not uncommon at all. Look at this 200 year old English Bass, the F Notches are off set about 3/16"; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Dodd/images/dodd3.JPG

Pick a side, it doesn't matter. Then measure the String lenght and see what it is to either notch. Pick a number!

7. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    allright im going to do this now thanks.