Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Feet Thickness

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Istar, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Last lesson I asked my teacher to look at my bridge position and he said it was good, but he commented that ,for his taste, the feet of my bridge where a little thick. Now the feet are perfectly carved to fit my top but the feet of my bass are indeed somewhat thicker than his. I’m no expert on this field so I was wondering, does the feet thickness matter and if so how much, and what would be a good (average) thickness. Any pros and Cons. :confused:

I’d really like someone else’s opinion before I run of to my luthier and get it re-carved. (which might also mean I need adjusters or a new bridge because of the string height witch is perfect right now)

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Since the luthier is carving, he can carve from the top of the feet as well as the bottom if the bridge is otherwise to your liking.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The bridge feet range between 2-4mm thick. Really thick feet can have a light damping effect on your tone.

Your luthier would remove from the topside of the feet: it should not affect the height of the bridge at all. Adjusters are nice to have anyway, and thinning the feet is a lot easier to do before you have the adjusters installed. g/l.

4. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well I guess I should mention it to my luthier then since their thickness is about 4 to 5 mm. I doubt it’s really a problem but still.
    It’s nice to know that it will be carved from the top since my string height is perfect now and doesn’t need adjusters. With all the discussion going on about these things I’m glad I got the luxury to avoid it :)

Thanks for the reply guys.