Bridge fix needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Aug 11, 2005.

1. well i have an old bass and the bridge is awful, i have the action set to the bottom, I've lost a screw/spring so the only thing holding the saddle down is the string and all my string heights are different.

How do I decide what bridge will fit and how to install it with strings fitted properly?

I only really want to spend a max of 50 bucks. And I dont want another cheap crap bridge. So this is probably something I'm gonna have to order and do myself rather than have a tech do it.
  2. it's an old Renegade..... I bel;ieve part of peavey.

I'll hook youup with picks later today/
  3. here are a couple of pics, notice the G string.
    Bridge is 1 7/8 x 3 3/8.

from center of screw to center of screw is 1.5" and 3" in the length direction. Probably pretty standard?

Attached Files:

4. note that i still have the screw for the G but no spring
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just go to the hardware store and get a new one. Or you could take apart a retractible ink pen.
  6. I noticed in your first post and the pics that you don't have the screw in the saddle. If it still threads in, you should put that back. That keeps the saddle from rolling back and forward, as well as adjusting intonation.
    That spring isn't super important. It mainly just helps keep the saddle+intonation screw pushed outward with tension. The string tension holds the saddle in place, not that spring.
    Your bridge is basically alot like the typical P-bass type bridge, but finding a direct replacement that has the mounting holes the same might be impossible.
    Although you might think that bridge is crappy, it's still the same kind used on many basses, and they do the job.