1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge for 4 to 5 string conversion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ninnlangel, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    Hi all,

I want to "make" (Warmoth - I should just say assemble) myself a 5 string picolo bass tuned BEADG up an octave. I will use their short scale 30" neck and body, asking them to not drill holes in the headstock so I can rearrange them for 5 tuners. I realize the spacing will be pretty tight, but I'm fine with that... My only issue is to find a suitable bridge. I've heard of "5 string conversion bridges" for 4 string fender style basses, but I can't find any information. Can anyone help with a source, brand, website anything to help me locate it?

Many thanks,

NL

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Huh? There are lots of narrow 5-string bridges out there that cover pretty much the same spread as a "normal" (Fender-spaced) 4-string. I've done this several times.

Want quality? Schaller 2000.

Want quality a little cheaper? Schaller 496.

I could go on....

3. ninnlangel

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    Sorry, I guess my inexperience and lack of research is at fault here... I'll go ahead and look carefully at the regular 5 string bridges...

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  5. ninnlangel

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    Anyone knows a 5 string bridge compatible with Gotoh 201 routing?

6. ninnlangel

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I've decided to go with single-string bridges... Now I'm wondering about the tuners :

Should just use guitar tuners instead of bass tuners (it would be easier to cram 5 of them on that small headstock)

7. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    That depends largely on the gauge of string you want to be using. What you're making is like a long-scale, 5-string baritone guitar. 5 baritone strings would be something like 18-72 gauge, in which case you'd have to make sure that any tuners you bought could fit a 72 gauge string.