1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skidmarkbass, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Just built a Warmoth Jazz 5 with a Schaller bridge, E and B saddles are as far back as it will go... thinking of moving the bridge back 1/4" or so

2. I don't really care about extra screw holes as they will be covered by the bridge itself.

3. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    as long as you still have enough room for the A,D and G string saddles to intonate properly it should be fine

4. Do you think you goofed up the bridge location? Kind of hard to do with Warmoth parts. I'd try different strings first- sometimes you get a bad one that won't intonate correctly. Also, if it's just B and E, unless they're really far off, try playing it and see how it sounds- chances are you won't notice it at all. Sometimes B strings are impossible to intonate anyway.

5. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    ive had to move the bridge back on some factory basses, (tuning a b string down to a flat makes the scale needing to be much longer). worked fine for me.

6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    three wraps on the post cut some length. Sounds weird but sometimes you cant get the correct pull with too many wraps. last thing to do is relocate the bridge.

7. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I agree with trying new strings. B strings are hard to tune let alone intonate. I often have the issue with my Kubickis and wind up having to cut strings etc. My old lightwave would max out the E all the time until I talked to Chris Wilcox and he told me that the basses were optimized for tapered strings. You can do a couple of things. Try raising the saddle just a touch. if that doesnt work try measuring the scale and see if it matches what you are finding. Try tapered strings especially on the B. If you have more then three wraps on the

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    What does this have to do with intonation?