1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge on 4 string build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nitto, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Nitto

Nitto

Mar 18, 2007
    Adelaide, South Aus
    I need to find a suitable bridge for my 4 string build, ive looked at various standard, individual string and 2 peice bridges, few of which seem to have the build quality i want.. wondering what bridges have worked best in your experience guys... i bought a hipshot model and had to return it because of its low quality

It's not that a lot of bridges on the market seem to be crappy, more that i know what i want

-made from brass or other lossy materials
    -no lateral bridge movement if possible
    -good anchorage to body (more screws)
    -good adjustability
    -looks cool (has to be black to match other hardware)

Any help would be awesome, i've been tearing my hair out on this one... that makes me a sad monkey :(

2. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    It's a personal preference but I like the Hipshot A-style bridge brass version. High quality and lots of tweaking options.

All the best

3. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
  4. Nitto

Nitto

Mar 18, 2007
    Adelaide, South Aus
    Wow, finally some quality engineering :eek:

those are the best i've seen yet, thanks gone :)

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Thats the first time I heard Hipshot having bad quality.

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    ABM is back on the game so you could check at some of their stuff.

7. baca1957

baca1957

Dec 14, 2007
    I, like the Leo Quan Bad Ass II Bridge and it is availible in black from musicians friend

8. Nitto

Nitto

Mar 18, 2007
    Adelaide, South Aus
    yeah the ABM single strings looked good, but i skipped out because the info about the lockdown system was so vague... i think i'll go the ETS individuals, i couldn't find an ETS 4 stringer with 19mm spacing :confused:

what is it with all these fantastic component makers like ETS, ABM and bartolini having great products but crappy, half-assed websites that don't give enough info?

well that's my rant for today, stay tuned :ninja:

9. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Very good question. I'm afraid no one knows the answer to that, though. But do keep us up to date, the information is always appreciated!

10. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Well, I don't know that I'd say crappy quality, but I wasn't particularily impressed with their single string bridges. Nothing really wrong, they just seem a bit cheesy. Especially the through-body gimmick. Luckily I don't really believe in stringing through-body, because it looks very hard on strings. A simple bevel would improve it, and make it seem a little less like a last minute gimmick they added.

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The hipshot allows top load too.

12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i second hipshot.

13. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Yeah, I should have clarified that. The top load seems pretty okay.. it's only the through body that looks really dumb. I personally would have designed it a little differently in both cases, but it'll work as is, and is pretty decent looks wise as well.

14. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I have an ETS Transmission that is 19mm spacing. Can't verify that tonite but can check tomorrow.

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Where do you buy ETS stuff?

I am in love with the idea of red bridge, red tuners, red pu covers on my trans black Warlock :)

16. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Post #3.

17. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Naimishs are huge, get one of them used.

18. Justpucky

Justpucky

Mar 12, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    :eyebrow: I just had fun... The guys at ETS referred me to their German parts dealer to buy and ship the bridge hardware. I had the dealers e-shop in one window, and Babblefish in the other. Even with the weak dollar though, the prices were in line with the other available headless bridges.:hyper:

I love shopping in languages I don't understand trying to figure out the finishes/ colors on the hardware. :spit: