1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge pup that stands alone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kaiuk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. kaiuk

kaiuk

Mar 3, 2011
    So im building a bass and trying to decide what pickups i should slap in it. I have decided i think i want a P in the neck position, but i want to have some versatility left in the bass. I was wondering if there are any pickups that would give me a full and complete tone from the bridge position. my intent would be to have an on/off switch for the P switch so that i could turn it off and use my other pickup by itself. I want to get a tone that would be different from the P (perhaps more like a J) and would prefer a very clean modern tone if i could. Is it even possible to get that kind of tone out of a bridge pickup?

sorry about the block 'o text.
    TL;DR version: good standalone bridge pup?:hyper:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Musicman, perhaps.

Spyder13a.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That was going to be my suggestion as well.

4. I have never really heard a p/mm setup. Kind of interested in hearing what that would sound like.

5. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    If you choose a quad-coil MusicMan pickup, you can select either of the two halves of the pickup, for different Jazz-like tones, or select both halves together for a fatter, MusicMan-like sound.

Combine this with a P-pickup at the neck position and you get lots of tonal options.

6. kaiuk

kaiuk

Mar 3, 2011
    so ive never been a huge fan of the MM sound. would a quad coil allow me to get some other non MM tones from the beast? also could i coil tap it?

7. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    This gets me a lot of sounds.

BassmodLabel.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm assuming the Super Switch is something like Series/Parallel/Single Coil?

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd go for a G&L MFD humbucker for maximum clarity and power, even run passive. You can order them on line from glguitars.com. Of course, then you'd want the G&L MFD split-coil for your P pickup. (And you do want one; you just might not realize it yet! :D) Those aren't on G&L's site, but I believe you can order them through any G&L dealer.

10. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    Series humbucker
    north coil
    parallel
    south coil
    parallel, out of phase.

I also recently wired the on/off switches for the pups into a parallel/series dealio too. So humbucker with parallel out of phase, in series with the P gives quite a zing