Bridge Replacement - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefthandbass17, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I have a lefty fender jazz bass and was wanting to modify the parts. I was thinking about pickups and a bridge. I've heard that string through body was a better setup than through the bridge. I was looking into a hipshot bridge. Is it possible to make my jazz a string though body and is it worth it? I don't trust myself to do it so im going to have it done.
  2. well would the hipshot bridge be better than a mexican fender's, or would I not notice a difference. Every few months my saddle on the E string will lower itself. It becomes annoying after awhile.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I haven't been able to dicsern a sonic difference when swapping bridges, though I'm certain there is SOME sonic difference, it is so slight that I can't perceive it myself, perhaps others can, but regardless, it won't be a "night and day" difference. What you probably WILL notice, however, is a more solid adjustment system far superior to the slippage that you seem to be experiencing currently.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I feel as though I can hear the difference between brass and none brass when played in sequence. I would totally agree as far as slippage is concerned. I'd recommend a Leo Quan Badass myself.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    A common bridge replacement for fender jazzes are the Badass II bridges, no extra screws or anything involved if I'm not mistaken, another one are the Gotohs (don't remember which model exactly). Both are string through bridges, never heard a Gotoh, but both are supposed to give great sustain.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I was referring to string through bridges, not string through body bridges sorry if it was a bit confusing :p