1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge saddle and strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PERDZOMBIE, Jul 15, 2017.

1. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    on the Accu-cast B306 bridge for the Ibanez SR506 does anyone know if a .145 will fit in the B string saddle so I can go to A standard tuning

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Using string that thick, it's better get the tapered version. D'Addario has XL Nickels and Pro Steels .145 in 2 variants: non tapered .145 and tapered .145T. Most likely the tapered variant would fit your Ibby bridge & saddle just fine.

3. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    Parden my ignorance what exactly is a tapered string

4. The "tapered" strings have a small portion at the ball end without the full winding so the part that sits over the saddle is thinner than the main body.

IMG_3319s.

PERDZOMBIE likes this.
  5. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    wow engineering at its finest right there I actually didn't know about that

6. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
  7. D'Addario "Super Long Scale" has a winding length of 38" from the ball end to taper, while their "Long Scale" is 37.1".

You might want to measure the actual distance on your bass between where the ball end sits and the tuner post for the B string to make sure it's more than 38". With a string that thick, what you don't want is for the main body of the string to end up wrapping around the tuning post.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    That is the normal wound at the ball end side, not the tapered that I was referring.

Long scale vs. super long scale is another matter you should address by measuring the required string winding length on your exact bass guitar. The numbers have been presented by michael_t. But since you've mentioned yours is the SR506, IME with similar SR series, a long scale version would be best fit its required winding length. A super long scale would be too long for the low B string so the thick part of the string would end up be wound on the tuning post, a condition which better be avoided, cause it could jeopardize the integrity of the string.

One of the strings I was referring could be obtained from this page:
    D'Addario XL NICKEL ROUND WOUND Single Bass Strings - Long Scale
    and choose the .145T (with a T which stands for Taper, instead of plain .145).

9. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    i couldnt find d'addario 145t long scale only super long thank you

10. Where are you located?

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    the link on my previous post belongs to one of TBers (@SLaPiNFuNK) and he could mail it to you just about anywhere in this world. He is super recommended here.

Make an account there and send him a personal message here on TB mentioning your account so he could upgrade your account as VIP member as lots of other TBers have already.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  12. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    USA i just was trying amazon so it could ship faster

13. What's the point of shipping faster if you can't get the right thing? ;)

@Aidil already provided you with the link above for the best place for shopping for strings if you live in the US.

14. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    would a 160 good tension in drop g GDGCFA# and be able to go back to B

15. .160 for B? I don't think so.

monsterthompson likes this.
  16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    you are aware that putting larger string above .135 gauge will require you to enlarge the nut slot, aren't you? And probably also the nut slots for the adjacent strings, if you change them to larger gauges too.

Few years ago I used .175 for the F#0 tuning (F#BEADG) on my 34" 6er and the tension wasn't that good on the open F#0 string. Some said that I should use larger gauge, something in the .190 area, to get good tension on the open F#0 string. Although I didn't do it (I opted to go back to standard BEADGC strings instead), but I might suggest that you use larger than .160 gauge for a good tension open G0 string.

Even if you have enlarged the nut slot, as long as the slot bottoms stayed the same/weren't made deeper, you could go back using the standard BEADGC strings just fine as I did.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I have no direct experience with strings that large, but FWIW tension charts say a .160" probably won't break if tuned to B0 (tension would be about the same as a common .065 tuned to D2). Unless it has a very thin core, that is. It's up to you, but at least it's not an experiment doomed to fail, because of numbers on paper, already.

18. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    I am getting a 4 string pack of 110 90 75 55 and single 145T and 35 thanks for all replies