Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Saddle question... help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Nov 22, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. recently my friend borrowed my Fender P bass and surprised me by putting on new strings for me. he put on the strings that i normally use, but the bass felt VERY different, and i wasn't sure why. i then looked down at the bridge and noticed that the strings were placed in different positions on the bridge saddles than i would normally have them. my friend placed the strings directly in the middle of each saddle (which makes the strings closer together), where as i would have the E and A strings slightly to the left and the D and G strings slightly to the right of the saddles (which makes the strings lay further apart).
    i know this may sound anal and weird, but i messed around with the different positions and there is a HUGE difference in playability and feel between the two! now i was wondering: what is the "norm"? is it just a question of taste or have i just been stringing up my bass wrong all these years??!! techs or anyone who knows... help!! thanks
    -tom

2. personal prefernce, thats why the grooves are there!
    standard spacing is 19mm i think

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You must have the old threaded saddles? Most modern saddles have a slot up the middle for the string. So placing the string in the middle is normal. Is that what you ment?