Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridges...let me know if this is nuts

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by munnkyboy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. munnkyboy

munnkyboy

Jul 1, 2005
    I am taking my Juzek for some repair work..fix a crack, new endpin and new adjustable bridge. My is warped!

My quote on the bridge (adjustable) was $450.

I've never had this done in 20 years, so I just need to know if this is in the ball park.

Thanks
    MK

(Taking it to David Gage)

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    $450 just for an adjustable bridge or $450 for an adjustable bridge that is being installed ?

3. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    my luthier usually charge me 300 euros for bridges..
    its include the bridge itself, Despiau, and all settings related if needed, adjusters included if i want them....(i let the bass at his shop and he work on it)

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's in the ballpark.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Time to raise our prices!

6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I recently inquired about having an adjustable bridge installed on my Strunal.

I spoke with Bob Riccardi located in Pennsauken, NJ, and he quoted me $250 for the bridge plus installation.

7. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    $250 plus installation? What's the installation charge?

8. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I recently got a new bridge and soundpost installed for a bit under US $220. No adjusters on mine, couldn't find it at any store here and it would have taken about 4 weeks to get them from the internet and I REALLY needed a new bridge. Maybe next year I'll get the adjusters and a compensated tailpiece. :D

9. munnkyboy

munnkyboy

Jul 1, 2005
    This would be installed. I called. Like I said, I haven't had to do this ever, so I have no idea.

thanks
    M

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    $450? Eh... I guess that's possible.

How good is Gage's work? Is it really first rate? Will Gage do it himself? (The answer to the last question should be obvious)

I had a new bridge made a few years back, by one of the luthiers who visit this forum. It was certainly well over $300, may even have been $400 or close to it. I can't remember for sure.

If you are absolutely certain you will end up with flawless work, then $450 is on the high end of reasonable. But that bridge had better be solid and fit everything perfectly.

11. According to her online price list Michelle Fiore in Chicago charges $285 for an adjustable bridge.

12. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Simply put, different shops in different areas charge different prices. However, the ballpark for bridges (from what I've seen) is $200-$500.

Some gigs pay $50 and others pay $300.

13. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Harmmond Ashley did my bridge last year for around 150 but I supplied the bridge blank. Ben did a beautiful job on taking the excess wood from the blank. It would look like a rococo sculpture if it had goldleaf on it. A while back I had adjusters installed and I seem to remember it was around 50, 60 dollars plus the cost of the adjusters.

14. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I just paid $50 for a new despiau adjustable bridge. I also had a Fishman Full Circle installed along with a set of new Obligatos. My total cost of the three items installed was $320.

15. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Two things: Soho rents are unlike rents anywhere else in the country (except here in the bay area) so if David charges a premium I wouldn't directly compare it to the prices elsewhere.
    Any of the cats in Davids shop are gunna make a great bridge for you. They are perhaps the busiest bass luthiers in the country. When I take my bass to Gage often it is Sprocket who I end up working with and he is a fine luthier.
    That said, if you go upstate to one of the guys who frequent these pages (jeff B?) you will be pleased for sure.

My luthier out here n the Bay area is $350 for a new bridge cut with adjusters.
    good luck

16. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    3 years ago i paid $270 for an excellent bridge with adjusters here in the south of Switzerland, in January i will go near Milano in Italy to have a bridge with ebony adjusters fited into my new bass and it will cost me between $250/$300 . Just to give you guys an idea about prices on this side of the pond.

NUNO

17. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure Gage's shop is all great luthiers. But there is something about knowing exactly the person you're dealing with, and knowing that he/she is the only one who will touch the instrument, that I find comforting.

basscrazy72, are you anywhere near Erlenbach? I have a friend there.

18. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Really?

19. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    David Gage is in Tribeca. ;) Did you know that rent is taxed in NYC for commercial space?! :meh: That's one of the reasons I've stayed out of the city. (I also prefer my commute)

20. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Personally, if I needed a new bridge I'd prefer the shop in Brewster over the one in Tribeca. Just MY opinion based on the work I've seen from both. I will NOT elaborate.