Bringing a floor with you to a gig

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Calvin Marks, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    Us bass players are weird:

Steve Boisen and Brad_Pearson like this.
  2. When I did my recital in school I used the bare metal spike into a wooden stage box to achieve exactly what they are talking about. That way I didn’t need to amplify to balance well in the hall.

I hadn’t considered the differences that could be apparent from different woods/materials. It makes sense. Treager talks about how when an instrument vibrates, every part vibrates and therefore contributes to the sound.

We all know the space you play in makes a huge difference, so of course the floor your instrument is coupled with will as well.

Cool stuff to contemplate!

piggywiddle likes this.
  3. Froth

Froth

Aug 16, 2019
    Piedmont, Italy
    When you hear the A/B comparison with the floor/podium it is audible, much richer. Even though it appears the camera might be closer and therefore the mic. I love my wooden floor practice room, but this must be like playing on a giant guitar.

piggywiddle and Brad_Pearson like this.
  4. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I want one!

5. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    That was my take too. It's an inverse square law for sound. I'd feel more convinced had he played the first clip beside instead of behind the podium. And he's not actually spiked into it, he's using a rubber tip.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Attached Files:

equill and piggywiddle like this.
  7. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I think all gigging musicians need one of these. I'd like to see a bass, stool, stand, and floor riser on the NYC subway

8. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I had a standing weekly gig at a country club with no amp and this would have been perfect.

9. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Froth, piggywiddle and james condino like this.
  10. I wonder how this would effect pizza tone? Might be a bit more cumbersome to lug around then an amp though, hahaha!

11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Ask anyone that has ever played a gig on the back of a big flatbed truck- the entire thing amplifies your bass so it sounds HUGE and you can mash a six inch hole in it with your endpin spike while nobody complains....

Froth, Sean Riddle and Dudaronamous like this.
  12. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Y'know, having a contrarian streak a mile wide, suddenly I want to build one of these to play my EUB on :)

13. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Gold Supporting Member

It would likely sound delicious with a few layers of Sauce, Mozzarella and Pepperoni.
    Grazie!

mjt0229, Froth, equill and 2 others like this.
  14. Darn autocorrect! Also that's probably what it would sound like and reminded me of an orchestral piece I played back in college. During the first rehearsal of it, I noticed that the what ever notation software the composer used put a Pizz and A Tempo marking right next to each other so that it instead read Pizza Tempo. There were a bunch of problems with the score which were frustrating everyone, so to lightening things up I had to ask our conductor what pizza tempo meant? Our conductor, who basically looks like Hagrid, nearly fell off the podium from laughing and we couldn't get back to playing for several minutes.