1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Nut. Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NinjaPenguin, Nov 5, 2013.

1. NinjaPenguin

NinjaPenguin

Nov 5, 2013
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If you can find the missing bit, you could probably just glue that in.

Otherwise $40 or so to replace it, and you may as well pay for a setup at the same time.

3. :crying:Broken nut :eek: OUCH!:crying: ice, Ibuprofen, and get to the emergency room right away.

4. Buy a pre-cut TUSQ nut (~$20) and install it yourself. If you're not particularly heavy into bass it will do for now, particularly if you're basically using it as a game controller.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Gluing the missing piece back in place will not work for long. The broken part will shear off again. The nut will have to be replaced.

Inexpensive pre-cut nuts are not user friendly. Pre-cut nuts still need to be sized and have the slot depths fitted to the instrument. They will save a little bit of money over a new nut cut from a blank. Either way, it is a job for a pro or the seriously handy only.

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I'd just but a new nut and get it installed by a pro.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Even easier is to take it to a competent pro and let them provide the nut.

BTW, I've repaired more than a few nuts having that kind of damage by building up the missing area using baking soda and super glue.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I suggest consulting a physician about busted nuts....

This is a good solution. Might have to go to a different country or a dark ally to find a good one for sale, though.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a break like that, put the missing piece back on with either Superglue or Gorilla glue (don't remember exactly), it's been fine ever since. That was a year ago. I do have a spare nut standing by in case it ever does break again, though. My advice would be to try the cheap fix; you can always take it to a pro later if the cheap fix doesn't take.

10. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

This is true. Nuts are hard to find.. Well you know:D