1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wade10987, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a Squier P Bass I made into a fretless, and now I am ready to do the finishing touches and get it set up.

The plastic nut broke clean in half when I removed it. There is no chipped or cracked plastic. It actually looks perfect and seamless if I hold it together or push it back into its groove on the neck.
    If I glue it back in place, will that clean break affect sustain or overall tone? This bass has a Badass Bass II bridge, DiMarzio DP127s and a Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz pickup in the bridge spot. With all that tone and output will the nut really matter? If I DO upgrade, though, I will probably get bone from Stew Mac or Ebay. Thoughts?

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    From your writing I understand that the nut didn't break at a notch. So the two pieces are of about the same size. If that's the case I wouldn't bother at all. Just glue them in place. You won't notice any difference.
    You may want to lower the strings on the nut-side, as there aren't frets anymore. It's a great opportunity to modify this broken nut, as you've got nothing to lose. Normally I file each notch of a nut so that a distance of 0.6 mm (0.022") remains between the strings and the first fret. Without frets you can go lower.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Super glue the nut back together, then glue it back in. I did this with a bass when the nut broke on the outside of the B string. As long as you let the glue dry, it should be just fine.

4. rockerjeff

rockerjeff

Apr 25, 2009
    Cupertino
    General Manager, Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
    If it were my bass, and if it were in my budget, then I would treat this as an opportunity to buy and install a premium nut. I don't prefer spending the required time of cleaning the nut shelf, gluing/repairing the broken plastic nut, and re-setting the string action to ultimately have a bass with an inexpensive nut. My favorite nut material lately has been GraphTech Black TUSQ XL (widely available for under $15.00, shipped) and here's why: http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=39

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Maybe rockerjeff has the way to go here.If you dont have funds or are worried about doing the work on a new nut yourself well just superglue the original & it will be fine but Rockerjeff has a good idea.Graphite is good you can even go for a brass nut which will have a good effect on open notes.