Broken Pick Up: Am I stupid or just dumb?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendon95, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Brendon95

Brendon95

Aug 14, 2019
    I've been putting together a kit guitar. Saying I am a novice at these things would be a understatement.

I was attempting to solder my p bass pick ups to the electronics and the wire that connects the two broke. So the pick ups are no longer connected by that little short wire. Is this a matter of simply soldering the the pick ups back together by the wire or am I screwed? I really really hope it's a simple fix because I bought these pick ups especially for the bass. Seymour Duncan quarter pounders.

Also, if anyone can add input to this...are the pickups supposed to sit in the pickguard suspended from the cavity or down in the cavity? Does the height make a difference if they aren't flush with the pickguard? The pickguard I have now is about a couple millimeters too long of them sitting flush and it's stressing me out.

2. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    You can just solder the wire back together. The pickups should be in the cavity. I don't think they should be flush with the pickguard, you should adjust the height to where they sound the best.

MCF and Big Shrek like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes, it should be (but I haven’t seen the damage ;) ).

Typically, there is some type of foam under the pickups, and the range of compression in the foam allows for height adjustment. Split-P pickups (like the SD SPB-3) normally have the mounting screws run into the bottom of the pickup cavity. They are not intended to be suspended from the pickguard (like stratocaster pickups).

MCF likes this.
  4. Hey there, sorry to hear about your troubles.
    A couple of pictures would help a lot to describe what you're dealing with.
    First up, well done for giving it a try - in my experience, hands on is the best way to learn anything.
    Secondly there are two sorts of wire involved in pickups;
    1. the plastic coated wires attached to the pickup for soldering to the pots (dials)
    2. The extremely fine spool of copper thread wound round and round the magnetised poles which allow the magnets to "pick up" the metal string's vibrating frequencies.
    Short answer: fixing the plastic coated wire is fairly straight-forward; fixing the fine copper thread from the spool is not.
    I say all this having made these mistakes and with just basic hands on experience. I do know someone who regularly makes their own basses who'd likely have some helpful tips [paging @MirandM ]
    Lastly, if you want an answer to the question in yor title, maybe start a poll; but make sure to include an option for "Carrots". :thumbsup:

funkinbottom, MirandM and Big Shrek like this.
  5. Brendon95

Brendon95

Aug 14, 2019
    Hey everyone!! Thanks so much for your replies! I ended up getting it figured out thanks to everyone, especially after I realized about the foam pieces.

And yes, it was the plastic wire that connects the pick ups. I just re-soldered it.

Thanks!

funkinbottom, wraub, MCF and 3 others like this.
  6. Good news!
    Just remember the TB rule is repayment with pictures of the bass once it's done :thumbsup:

funkinbottom, MCF and MirandM like this.
  7. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass.

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I'll second that. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021