Broken string during shipping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jastraw, Jan 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM.

1. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    This is most likely my fault. I left the bass on pitch.

Last week I shipped a bass from California to Maine. It arrived today. The feedback I received was the G string was snapped upon arrival. He’s not asking for any compensation. Have you guys experienced this? Is it possible due to a combination of the weather and handling?

2. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2021
    Area 53
    A few months ago I bought a brand new bass from a dealer. It was strung-through and shipped with the strings at pitch. There were intonation issues and other anomalies when I got it. It supposedly had been set up and checked by both the maker (Reverend) and the dealer (Wildwood). New strings fixed the problem.

My take after discussing the problem with Reverend and Wildwood was that it's not a good idea to ship a bass with the strings at full tension, especially on a string-through. One would think that they'd know this. It can cause customer anxiety and possibly returns. I mention the latter as the bass displayed symptoms of a mis-located bridge, although it simply was bad strings, presumably from shipping.

One Way and jastraw like this.
  3. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Never happened to me and I always leave it tuned. If that's all that's broken...I call it a great day. I'm the kind of guy who replaces strings whenever I buy a bass anyways.

4. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    The shipped bass was not a string through. It could be. But wasn’t.

I’m trying to come to peace as to what happened.

5. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2021
    Area 53
    Yeah, stuff happens and we have to deal with it and move on. I included the part about being strung-through because it likely was that major factor in my case, based on info from Reverend. Regardless, stuff happens in shipping, even if the box arrives apparently unscathed.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    UPS guy doing slappa da bass?

7. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Every bass I've shipped and every bass that was shipped to me, even from Bellevue, Washington, has been tuned to pitch and was pretty much in tune when they arrived at their destinations.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Never had that issue sending or receiving. I think the package was opened and somebody messed with the bass.

gebass6, lfmn16, jastraw and 2 others like this.
  9. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I have shipped every bass I’ve sold tuned to standard and never had an issue. Every bass I’ve received from people here on TB have also been tuned when I got them, no issues. Who knows?

10. Bass Jones

Bass Jones Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    Did he say where the string broke? Might be a clue as to what happened.

JRA and jastraw like this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Basses are shipped from Asia to the US at pitch all the time. That is not the problem.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not for nothing, but the string didn't break by itself hanging in its stand during the time you owned it, right?

13. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I agree with everyone else: the string didn’t break by itself. Hell , I think I’ve ever only seen TWO bass strings break: one time it was a guitarist tuning a bass, the other time was ME tuning my first bass.

I would think that , during shipping ,it’s easier to break a headstock than to break a string. And even then, the stings don’t break when the headstock does!

skycruiser, jd56hawk and jastraw like this.
  14. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Ship 1/2 cent detuned, or tuned.

And pack it like you would want it shipped to you.

Done

Staccato likes this.
  15. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    No, never. It was a Sire V10. Pretty decent instrument.

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. I'd be wondering how well the instrument was packed, given that you were the sender, I'd presume that it was suitably packed. The question I'd be asking is was it broken in transit, or after it arrived? Given that you may not know the receiver that is a question that may never be answered to your satisfaction. The few times I've entrusted an instrument to the vagaries of courier services, I've never de-tuned, nor have they ever arrived de-tuned.

bobyoung53, jastraw and jd56hawk like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I simply have a feeling the buyer broke it or the box was opened before he got it, which isn't easy to believe but not impossible, I guess.

18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Had 3 basses shipped to and from Massachusetts/Brooklyn to California twice on 3 separate occasions and the basses arrived in tune with no issues.

Freak accident. Crap happens.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Slacken strings and pack properly.

Buy up old cases rather than use a bag.

But if it arrived and played well, I'd fine.
    Used basses have all sorts of history you don't get to know?

20. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Odd indeed. I've never had an instrument arrive either here or at another destination with a broken string...bass or otherwise. But I've certainly changed strings on some that have arrived. So if a string break is the only issue, I'd just put a set of my preferred strings on it and move on. Trying to find out what happened will be like searching for a needle in a haystack. PLus....has anyone here tried calling UPS lately in an attempt to speak to a human? It's nearly impossible now.

bobyoung53, jastraw and Adagietto like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2022