1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

brother hates my tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamchance, Jan 14, 2012.

1. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011
    my brother is a guitar player and he says my tone is too clear. i have a schecter omen 4 bass with a ampeg ba-115 amp. im on style 2 trebel is at 12:00 mids are at 2:00 and bass is at 2:00. i personally like my tone it has a mark hoppus type quality to it and a jason newsted type feel. anything i should try changing?

my tone View attachment talkbass.mp3

2. I wouldn't change. Instead tell him that you aren't so stoked on his tone, either. He probably wants you to be quieter, less audible, so the world will focus on his gui**** awesomeness. Don't cave!

3. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011

you know that makes sense! i like mids so i cut through good but its not overbearing annoying i can see him saying that just for that reason

4. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    If you've got a sound file we'd be more able to help you figure out if your brother has any validity to his claim. But I wouldn't change unless his comment has more to do with where you are fitting into the mix.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Never take tone advice from a guitar player, I don't care if he's your brother, your best friend or a complete stranger.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Contrary to popular opinion, successful musical ventures have far more to do with collaboration and cooperation, aka serving the music, than individuals getting their own way.

Ask your guitarist what's driving his needs.

7. James L

James L

Jul 24, 2011
    Nope! If you like it then that's you. Don't change.

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Who....cares?

9. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011
    all he says is it is too clear and i have too much trebel but my trebel is at 12 o'clock

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Maybe he doesn't know the difference between treble and mids? What kind of music are you playing? Try leaving your treble ( and mid if applicable) knobs alone and bumping the bass a tad.

11. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011

stay posted ill upload a sound file!

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Let's see, your brother is not a bassist, sound tech., or experienced band leader? If not, maybe he's giving you an unqualified opinion. ;)

13. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    Me wants to listen!! :bag:

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Before we jump to conclusions, does the OP even play in a band with the guitar playing brother in question?

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    He's brother ;)

16. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    It sounds like he thinks your tone is too bright in general. Maybe try cutting treble or high mids. When the amp treble is set to flat, all it means is that it isn't ADDING treble, not that treble is absolutely neutral.

17. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011

View attachment talkbass.mp3

18. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011
    i posted a mp3 check it out!;)

19. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I always respond with, "if you pay me you can set my tone".

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sounds fine from here!