BTB vs SRSC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlappityPoppity, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Greetings all! Time has come to upgrade my 5 string from my Yamaha BBG5s to something a little better. Just not a huge fan of the super thick neck compared to my Lakland Skyline 44-01.
    I'm really interested in the Ibanez BTB 845sc and the Ibanez SRSC 805. I really like the single cut look on both of these models. I do a lot of slap work so a wider string spacing would be better for me I feel. Both models have the single cut, neck through design, and mono rail bridges so the sustain is amazing from what I hear. What are y'all's thoughts on my dilemma here. I really don't live close enough to a store that stocks these regularly, so I'd probably order one from sweetwater or something and set it up and give it a really good test drive before the return period is up.
    Thanks a lot folks!

Anthony

MD Stingray likes this.
  2. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    I only played in a store the SR Single cut.
    A well made instrument. Gorgeous top-wood. Great playability and sound.
    I did not buy it because the SC design is not appealing to me.

SlappityPoppity likes this.
  3. Thanks! How did it feel to play?

MD Stingray likes this.
  4. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    Very smooth, the neck like all SR’s thin, but not too. Sound-wise I was also impressed.
    Great value for money, even if it was a few hundred more expensive.

5. Nice. Did you slap at all? If so, how did that feel?

MD Stingray likes this.
  6. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    You gotta slap :). The string spacing is not uncomfortable to me, but I can understand it could be for some at first if you are not used to it.

7. Ok cool. Thanks a lot man!

MD Stingray likes this.
  8. Haha slap all day every day

MD Stingray likes this.
  9. Vette1976

Vette1976

Dec 2, 2018
    Saskatchewan
    Which way did you go on this dilemma? I am looking for another bass and think I have it whittled down to the SRSC and a Fender PJ, although no SRSC available around here to try.

10. I actually ended up going with a Peavey Cirrus 5 and I do not regret anything.I would have loved the looks of the BTB single cut, but I got over it quickly. I really love the 18v electronics on the Peavey and the 35" scale. It's an absolute monster of a bass that brings a sound slams its balls on the table and takes no prisoners(if it's set up right and all that). Msrp is like 1200 but I got a NAMM show model for like 680. Totally worth it IMO. Check one out! I played it through a GK at a local music store and didn't really like the sound, but through my Hartke Lh500 and my Fender Rumble 15 cabs it's an absolutely amazing sound.

Vette1976 likes this.
  11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Cirrus was one of few basses I had looked into a few years ago, but nowhere avail locally. Though the Grind was available, I kinda liked the Cirrus looks more. And also there was the local distributor issue, which seemed kinda reluctant in bringing many Peavey basses into the Indonesian market, despite some were being made in Indonesia. So, no Peavey basses for me.

About the Cirrus 5, I thought Cirrus 5 had a tight string spacing, like something in the 16-17 mm area, instead of wide 18-19 mm which you'd preferred since you do lots of slapping... No?

12. Kudos for being observant! Haha Makin me feel special. The cirrus does have an adjustable string spacing at the bridge so I did adjust it. Although it isn't as wide as I wanted it to be, the rest of the pros make up for it. I definitely am able to get used to it, although there are times I wish it was a tad wider. Definitely became my go to bass over my Lakland

Aidil likes this.
  13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, I'm aware the bridge has sideways string spacing adjustment. But as you've said, I also had thought the widest setting couldn't be as wide as the common wide 18-19 mm 5 string spacing. Cause AFAIK, most adjustable string spacing bridges will only do ±1.5 mm.

So, let's say from 17 mm, mathematically it could go up to 18.5 mm. But, since the spacing would have to be equal amongst the 5 strings, the maximum sideways movement of the two outer bridges of 3 mm would have to be distributed across the spacings, thus each spacing could only get an additional 0.75 mm, which means 17.75 mm if the initial spacing is 17 mm (would be less than that if the initial was 16 or 16.5 mm).

One would certainly pick Fender basses if they liked "the common bass" look. For me, I've never bonded in with Fender basses look, mainly because I don't want to be look alike.

Regarding the SRSC, I would have bought the Ibanez SR Single Cut if I hadn't already had a BTB Single Cut (mine is the BTB685SC). There's just something special with the single cut bass look. I'd suggest getting one ASAP if you can obtain one, cause the SRSC belongs to Ibanez Bass Workshop line which seems only being produced in limited quantity and in limited time. For sure it is not available anymore in the Ibanez Asian Catalog for 2019.

14. I still might pick up a 5 string btb single cut since it's a 9 volt preamp and I still like that sound too. Just takes time and money lol

15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The older BTBs are 18 volts. Ibanez has changed them to 9v since around 2015 productions.

I used to fancy 18v too, but then I found different pickups, different preamp, act differently with voltage. I even once "downgraded" the voltage of an older bass of mine from 18v to 9v cause I couldn't hear the advantage of having the electronics in 18v (the bass was equipped with all USA Bartolini pickups and prewired preamp). More so because I almost always wired the bass using wireless when gigging, which basically is only using 2x 1.5v batteries inside the belt pack, thus the electricity would still be changed.

So, Ibanez engineers must have good reason for using "only" 9v in the more recent BTB builds. But then, you can always upgrade it to 18v as preferred.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  16. Interesting. Didn't know that. Maybe someday I'll experiment with that stuff. For now I'm pretty satisfied with my axes. For now........ Lol